Mystery vegetable??? Need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg
Hello everyone, I'm new here and very excited to learn more about gardening. I've had some weeds in my garden... Most I think are out but one plant that I let grow I can't tell what it is... Can you assist? Is this the Space Hybrid Spinach I tried to grow and thought they didn't sprout? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! Tell us where you live or your USDA growing zone...? Most helpful with plant ID. ;)

No clue but it doesn't look like spinach to me. Or okra maybe...? Almost looks like a baby foxglove...or a weed I don't know the name of but grows wild here and gets very tall spiky flowers. Sorry that is probably not very helpful! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to identify it. But your location would be super-helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Beth, thank you for the help... I agree with you it looks like fox glove too, the leaves are sort of fuzzy. I live in New Jersey and it seems I may have the best looking weed for miles... I'm going to have to pull that poor creature out tomorrow I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yah fuzzy leaves aren't usually edible. :)

But if it's not taking up valuable real estate in your garden maybe leave it and see what it does? Some of my favourite plants are perennial native "weeds" that many people would pull up, but I have the space and if they make pretty flowers and attract pollinators I let them be. Just a thought!

The guy who mows my lawn probably hates me lol. Im always planting little flags next to things I want him to mow around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The plant shown in the OP is the basal rosette of a Mullein (Verbascum sp.), in the Figwort Family (Scrophulariaceae).
The genus Verbascum is native to much of Eurasia and northern Africa, but many species are common garden plants and adventive weeds in North America.

Ask a Question