Mystery Plant claimed a disused indoor pot in Glasgow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This plant started growing in what I thought was a disused pot of soil on my kitchen windowsill (the seed may have blown in when I had the window open), about 2 months ago. I had no plans for the pot so I thought I'd let it grow to see what it was. See image:

mysteryplant.jpg

The stem is rather stiff, and turning woody at the bottom. Both stem and leaves are covered in fine hairs, and they're fuzzy to the touch. It's about 8cm tall just now.

I've searched through pages of leaf and seedling identification charts but there's only so many pictures of highly similar-looking leaves you can squint at before your brain starts to numb. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi there,

This plant started growing in what I thought was a disused pot of soil on my kitchen windowsill (the seed may have blown in when I had the window open), about 2 months ago. I had no plans for the pot so I thought I'd let it grow to see what it was. See image:

View attachment 66793

The stem is rather stiff, and turning woody at the bottom. Both stem and leaves are covered in fine hairs, and they're fuzzy to the touch. It's about 8cm tall just now.

I've searched through pages of leaf and seedling identification charts but there's only so many pictures of highly similar-looking leaves you can squint at before your brain starts to numb. Does anyone have any ideas?
If the stem is turning woody I would guess it is some sort of tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
tapa cloth tree- paper mulberry

The pictures I'm looking at of young paper mulberry aren't quite the same as my plant, though I'll admit the description is closer than anything else I've read about, so this may be it. Thanks!

Ask a Question