My Yard is Now a Blank Canvas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had to cut down a large Live Oak tree in my front yard on Feb 13th, because the last two hurricanes brought attention to all the large limbs falling near my house; furthermore, I noticed some leaking of water from the tree after a heavy rain. I had a certified arborist inspect the tree and he said it had a condition known as, "included bark". After looking into this condition http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/codom_leaders/index.html I decided that the tree must come down.

It was a very large job, because the tree was about 50-60 ft tall, with about the same breadth -- live oaks are known for their sprawling canopies. It was a great shade tree for the house, but on the flip side, I had to go up on the roof a lot and clean off all the debris. Another thing I won't miss is that a lot of birds perched up in the tree and crapped all over my house, sidewalk and driveway...incredible amounts of crap and it was nothing to sit out there and get 'bombed' -- very common occurrence.

I've already started planting things there and plan to buy some native trees/shrubs and vines to attract wildlife and provide me shade, but it won't really shade the house like the live oak did, but that's the trade off...BTW, I still have tons of birds in my yard, they just sit in the live oak and Sweetgum tree in the back yard, 'fertilizing' that area, which I'm just fine with...

Before and After pics

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Love those live oaks, myself. In a storm this winter, I lost about half of a 200 year old one and we're hoping the remaining section makes it.

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had to cut down a large Live Oak tree in my front yard on Feb 13th, because the last two hurricanes brought attention to all the large limbs falling near my house; furthermore, I noticed some leaking of water from the tree after a heavy rain. I had a certified arborist inspect the tree and he said it had a condition known as, "included bark". After looking into this condition http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/codom_leaders/index.html I decided that the tree must come down.

It was a very large job, because the tree was about 50-60 ft tall, with about the same breadth -- live oaks are known for their sprawling canopies. It was a great shade tree for the house, but on the flip side, I had to go up on the roof a lot and clean off all the debris. Another thing I won't miss is that a lot of birds perched up in the tree and crapped all over my house, sidewalk and driveway...incredible amounts of crap and it was nothing to sit out there and get 'bombed' -- very common occurrence.

I've already started planting things there and plan to buy some native trees/shrubs and vines to attract wildlife and provide me shade, but it won't really shade the house like the live oak did, but that's the trade off...BTW, I still have tons of birds in my yard, they just sit in the live oak and Sweetgum tree in the back yard, 'fertilizing' that area, which I'm just fine with...

Before and After pics

View attachment 49877View attachment 49878View attachment 49879View attachment 49880
I love how you used the branches to make smaller beds. It is very sad when a big beautiful trees gets taken out by a storm. I am on the coast in NC and we had massive amounts of tree damage in our city. Very beautiful trees just destroyed. Perhaps a beautiful screen pergola or structure to enjoy. Hard to replace a tree that big. Crepe Myrtles are pretty quick growers.......more than most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We live on a hill and as leaf litter can "mound" on the uphill side of the roots, so to can fungus find purchase and take that uphill side anchor away.

Thankfully, we face more or less into the prevailing wind. One tree out front did hit the house with the wind before we realized what was going on, and even after having 7 removed last year there are three in a downhill row out front that have died or lost enough anchor to tip into the next tree. I understand more about why they call the tipping ones widowmakers, given the weight and size.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure your house is now bathing in sunlight! I love light.

Trees can cause a lot of trouble. Went to see a house on a plot of land and saw subsidence caused by a huge tree at the back. I have never seen subsidence until then. Quite awful as I could see cracks in the walls and numerous cardboards lining the base of the whole house. And to the front, there was another huge one which required felling. Having a huge tree near a house is never a good idea. Birch is now very popular. It's slender, airy and poses less of a danger.

Ask a Question