My wife wants to get rid of our roses

Reaction score
My wife is saying that she wants us to dig up all of the rose bushes in our backyard because she is afraid our son will hurt himself on the thorns when he starts playing in the backyard. I don't want to get rid of them. I can't stand ripping up perfectly good rose bushes. I don't really think he will hurt himself on them. What do you recommend that I do? I could say no to my wife but that is not recommended! :) I guess I could try to transplant them. Does anyone have any tips?

Reaction score
I've never heard of people transplanting adult rose bushes, but I guess given the circumstances you might be forced to try ;) It's a pitty your wife wants to get rid of all rose bushes, but I must say I understand her. Not sure I'd do the same tho.

Reaction score
I grew up having to encounter rose bushes from a very young age, in fact there were hundreds of them everywhere, as both my grandparents were prize rose growers, and not once did I suffer any injury or trauma related to rose bushes - in fact the trauma, if there was one, was more likely to have been on my grandparents side, for fear that I might damage the flowers that I so often, rather roughly admired with my childish hand :)

You could transplant your roses, but to be honest I think the easiest solution, would be, to teach your child not to touch the roses.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have transplanted Rose bushes it is not that hard. Would a fence around the bush help to protect your son. I agree the thorns are nasty to deal with and for a child that is something you would like to avoid if you can. Don't say no but if you can offer an alternative like a fence or some type of barrier that may work for the two of you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I remember, there were at least a few rose bushes in our garden when I was a child and nothing bad has happened to me. I understand that your wife wants to be extra careful though. If I were you, I would try to transplant the roses. It's better than getting rid of them:(

Reaction score
My wife is saying that she wants us to dig up all of the rose bushes in our backyard because she is afraid our son will hurt himself on the thorns when he starts playing in the backyard. I don't want to get rid of them. I can't stand ripping up perfectly good rose bushes. I don't really think he will hurt himself on them. What do you recommend that I do? I could say no to my wife but that is not recommended! :) I guess I could try to transplant them. Does anyone have any tips?

I agree with you. If the roses are doing well where they are, then they should stay. There's no need to transplant them. In addition to that, transplanting roses is a difficult and time-consuming job. The roots go way deep down into the soil, which makes it tough to dig them up.
Just tell your son not to touch the roses. Or supervise him while he's playing back there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You could transplant the roses, but this is really not helpful for your son. You may consider my response a bit extreme, but I work with kindergarten through second grade students. I have witnessed some pretty sad things that have affected my opinions.

Learning limits and about the world is so very, very important. Learning them at home with parental support is preferable to learning limits at school. Little helpful lessons about roses, house plants, breakables in and about the house can translate in many, many other ways.

Your child will be soooo much more ready for the world if he gets to grow up learning the joys of gardening and playing in the dirt which include but are not limited to early math concepts, natural science, ecology, biology, etc. I would encourage experiential learning which would include roses and a vast array of every day life experiences inside and outside the home and yard.

Sorry, as a teacher, I feel very sad for those students that have been overly protected. They often struggle socially not having learned limits and boundaries even though their parents had the very best intentions and only wanted to protect their child. We all love our children, but we also have to have a vision for the child as a student, teenager and adult that we hope they will be. I would highly recommend sharing a book study on Love and Logic with your wife. If she feels this away about roses it makes me feel sad and worried for the future.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I too grew up with my parents and grandparents having roses .

But they were all in the front garden ,but we went to play in the parks.

Reaction score
Well I think that you have to consider that if your son does hurt himself, it will only be once. He will then understand that you do not play around near the roses. I would personally find it very difficult to give them up myself. Is there a way you can fence them off someway?

Reaction score
You could transplant the roses, but this is really not helpful for your son. You may consider my response a bit extreme, but I work with kindergarten through second grade students. I have witnessed some pretty sad things that have affected my opinions.

Learning limits and about the world is so very, very important. Learning them at home with parental support is preferable to learning limits at school. Little helpful lessons about roses, house plants, breakables in and about the house can translate in many, many other ways.

Your child will be soooo much more ready for the world if he gets to grow up learning the joys of gardening and playing in the dirt which include but are not limited to early math concepts, natural science, ecology, biology, etc. I would encourage experiential learning which would include roses and a vast array of every day life experiences inside and outside the home and yard.

Sorry, as a teacher, I feel very sad for those students that have been overly protected. They often struggle socially not having learned limits and boundaries even though their parents had the very best intentions and only wanted to protect their child. We all love our children, but we also have to have a vision for the child as a student, teenager and adult that we hope they will be. I would highly recommend sharing a book study on Love and Logic with your wife. If she feels this away about roses it makes me feel sad and worried for the future.
Excellent response on this issue. If the plants are okay why tear them out. Gardens are a wonderful way for a child to learn responsibility and set boundaries. At the worst a fence would be in order but better to teach the children before they go to school then wait for the school to teach them what they should have already learned. Thanks so much for your post!!

Ask a Question