MY what a difference a week makes!

Reaction score
I was sick for a week, and everything has CHANGED in the garden!

The kale, which had been looking SO fine, is now riddled with holes from the cabbage worms. The first thing that I did in the garden was to spray it with the pesticide soap to kill the green worms: the new leaves should be fine and I will wait to serve kale until the new leaves are in.

To my surprise, the corn is tasseling and the watermelons are starting to run! Just a week ago those plants were SMALL! And, the string beans needed to be picked, so that was the SECOND thing I did in my garden!

The row of marigolds and the onions are trying to be choked out by grass: I will somehow have to find time to deal with that. When I got sick the grass was small: now the grass is huge!

Lastly, there is a female blossom on a cucumber plant! Lovely!

You know, I rarely spend more than 5 minutes a day in the vegetable garden. I sometimes wondered if that little bit of time spent really mattered! The answer is yes, yes it does!

Because I did not spend 5 minutes a day in the garden, enough greens for a dozen large salads were ruined. The onions and the marigolds are threatened by long grass. There is a largish poison ivy plant growing in the green beans and I normally would have gotten it out when it was small and helpless.

Vegetable gardens really take very little time if they are worked every day: since I did not work mine for a week it is a MESS out there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Boy, do I hear you on that, loud and clear, Terri ! It has either been way too hot to be outside, or it has been pouring down rain in buckets, so between the two, the garden has gone crazy, the weeds and grass are tall and thick, and I am going to have to get out there and hunt for the cucumbers.
The blackberries are finally ripe, but they re just too tiny to be worth picking them for anything, so I have picked a few on the days that it was ok to be outside, but they are going to mostly be gone before I get to them, with this weather pattern, too.

Reaction score
I usually go out first thing in the morning to avoid the heat: even so it is a challenge!

Still, we ate garden green beans today for dinner. There MIGHT be blackberries ripe in the fence, and I intend to find out tomorrow. I have not gone to the back of the yard, yet! Life is good and gardening is productive, as long as I can spend my 5-10 minutes a day out there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is one of the reasons why I love gardening: it can never be boring:D . There is always something that has to be done and everything changes so quickly.
My roses surprise me with something new every single morning. It makes me so incredibly happy whenever I find a new little leaf or, even better, a new bud that for sure will turn into a beautiful flower soon:D

Reaction score
That's so amazing! A week seems like such a small amount of time, but apparently a lot can happen with the help of Mother Nature! I bet all of this sunshine we've been getting lately really helped the process go faster. Congratulations on all of the new growth, and good luck in mending the rest, I'm sure the pests will be gone again in no time!

Ask a Question