My Washingtonia Plant isn’t growing...

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello all,

I hope this message of mine finds the reader in good health and spirits.

I had bought a Washingtonia plant a couple of months ago, in late February. The issue with the plant is that it hasn’t sized up even a bit, although it has been 2 odd months. It is has been planted outside in a tray pot, where it receives ample sunlight and air throughout the day. In fact, it is also taken care of by watering every 1-2 days.
It is my first experience with a Washingtonia plant. Is this how this plant usually grows, slowly?

Please find a picture of it attached herewith. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• B25C9386-2375-46AC-B13B-2EB6DDB8FF45.jpeg
    B25C9386-2375-46AC-B13B-2EB6DDB8FF45.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
Country
United States
Mexican fan palm's grow between 2 to 4 ft a year under ideal growing conditions. It looks like your palm is planted too deep in the soil. Feel the top of the soil with your finger. When it feels dry, it is time to water your palm tree. If it still feels wet, check back in a few days because It's too soon for more water. I think every other day watering, is too much water for your palm.

Reaction score
Country
India
Mexican fan palm's grow between 2 to 4 ft a year under ideal growing conditions. It looks like your palm is planted too deep in the soil. Feel the top of the soil with your finger. When it feels dry, it is time to water your palm tree. If it still feels wet, check back in a few days because It's too soon for more water. I think every other day watering, is too much water for your palm.
Thank you for responding, guys.
I have to water every 1-2 days, because it tends to remain hot where I live and the soil generally dries up.

Additionally, does planting it deep may affect its growth?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Problems with planting too deep could be nutrient deficiency and could possibly weaken or even kill the palm. Planting too deep will cause less oxygen in the root zone. Palms require certain water requirements and excessive watering will create root rot which, if not dealt with will stop growth or be fatal.

Reaction score
Country
India
Problems with planting too deep could be nutrient deficiency and could possibly weaken or even kill the palm. Planting too deep will cause less oxygen in the root zone. Palms require certain water requirements and excessive watering will create root rot which, if not dealt with will stop growth or be fatal.
Can’t thank you enough for that, oneeye.

I’ve had the plant undug today and planted again, approximately 2 inches above. I hope that solves out the issue.

Attachments

• CC6F1BD8-5642-424A-A245-44A9748AAE7E.jpeg
    CC6F1BD8-5642-424A-A245-44A9748AAE7E.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I am glad that I read the title of this thread. I had not heard of a Washingtonia before. I know now that it is a palm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does the pot have a drain hole? What kind of soil is it in? Is it garden soil or something from a bag? From what I can see it needs more light (full sun) and can handle being watered more often.

Here in Southern California we grow them as regular garden plants and as street trees, they’re practically a weed.

Ask a Question