My very first Raspberries

Reaction score
I planted a raspberry bush not too long ago and I am delighted to find it is already producing small raspberries.
I wasn't sure it was going to take to be honest (it is my very first attempt) but I would like to know if anybody else is growing one this year and if you have any tips and helpful hints that might help me keep my plant healthy with more raspberries?

Reaction score
My berries are all wild...God takes care of them and I harvest! :) I do hope you have success, though. Mmmm...nothing like fresh berries. And having enough to stash some in the freezer for colder months is wonderful!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I planted a raspberry bush not too long ago and I am delighted to find it is already producing small raspberries.
I wasn't sure it was going to take to be honest (it is my very first attempt) but I would like to know if anybody else is growing one this year and if you have any tips and helpful hints that might help me keep my plant healthy with more raspberries?
Your raspberries will spread naturally, if allowed.
The trick is not to get too greedy, and to cut them back to stop overcrowding.

Reaction score
My berries are all wild...God takes care of them and I harvest! :) I do hope you have success, though. Mmmm...nothing like fresh berries. And having enough to stash some in the freezer for colder months is wonderful!!

I wish I had wild berries to harvest! Luck you! I agree there is nothing better than fresh berries...hopefully I will have enough to freeze for the winter but we will have to see. It may be next year before I get a good amount of berries from my plant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The only berries that I have here are the wild ones, too, but my mother used to grow raspberries, and we always had huge berry harvests. She would send me to the neighbors with bowls of fresh berries, we had so many.
She would keep them well watered when they were producing berries, and always put horse manure around the base, and worked it into the dirt around each plant, and they were always really lush and green bushes, and the more we picked, the more berries were produced.

Reaction score
The only tending I do to my raspberries is pruning to stop them from taking over the whole yard. They're probably the most hearty, disease and drought tolerant, all around tough plant I've ever had the pleasure of growing. I have mind trained into a fence-style using a system of 4x4 posts and berry wire, and simply cut back any growth that spreads outside of the area they're allowed.

The first year I planted them I was so disappointed - we had huge delays with the closing on our house and only 4 of the 6 plants I dug up to move with us survived in the new location. But it only took a couple years for the surviving plants to spread and replace the ones we lost.

Ask a Question