My version of the Garden Tower

Reaction score
Country
United States
I few years back I made this "garden barrel" and I'm very satisfied with the results. I planted a diversity of things, including herbs, lettuces, cherry tomatoes, etc. but I'm thinking to upgrade it a little like opening the holes a bit bigger and actually use the center tube as a "worm compost". I'll introduce some red wigglers in the tube to experiment. Here are some pictures:

Commercial Version

My DIY version

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..that is incredible! Your version looks so much better and doable and probably cost less to create than buying one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Brilliant! I especially love the idea of converting the PVC to a worm tower! This is modern urban farming at it's best! I may have to borrow this idea, or at least tell some people I know about it. What a great way to get more growing space! When you convert the tube, how will you deliver water?

Reaction score
Nice idea! I don't know how you did it exactly, but it looks like you got the barrel design completely right =D I love it! I'm looking forward to seeing how it will look just a couple months later!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow..that is incredible! Your version looks so much better and doable and probably cost less to create than buying one.

Thanks @IcyBC, Yes the commercial version is between $350.00 and $400.00 plus shipping and taxes. I bought the barrel for $10.00 and spend about $20.00 in the casters at the local hardware store, The PVC and bottom flange cost about $15.00 so in total I spend about $45.00 to $50.00 of course plus the soil.

Brilliant! I especially love the idea of converting the PVC to a worm tower! This is modern urban farming at it's best! I may have to borrow this idea, or at least tell some people I know about it. What a great way to get more growing space! When you convert the tube, how will you deliver water?

Thanks @ChanellG, I'm planning to build another one with a new barrel I got for free this time, (free is good, ha). I like the Idea of the worms so maybe will have both barrels ready this summer. I'll post updates.

Nice idea! I don't know how you did it exactly, but it looks like you got the barrel design completely right =D I love it! I'm looking forward to seeing how it will look just a couple months later!

Thanks @Trellum , at the beginning was a little hard to figure out the distance between the holes and so but when you have everything measured is easy. I have tools so it wasn't difficult with the right tools. This summer I'm planting a lot of lettuces, herbs, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, your version looks great, it's such a wonderful and creative idea! I love how big your garden tower is. I think I will try to make one too and keep it indoors as I don't have a garden yet. Thank you for the inspiration!:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, your version looks great, it's such a wonderful and creative idea! I love how big your garden tower is. I think I will try to make one too and keep it indoors as I don't have a garden yet. Thank you for the inspiration!:)

Thank @claudine for your words, I'm a DIY guy, ha. Working in Building Maintenance I'm always looking into DIY projects and recylcing things. My next project will be a Hydroponic vertical garden with PVC pipes. like the one in the picture below.

:whistle:

Reaction score
Thanks @Trellum , at the beginning was a little hard to figure out the distance between the holes and so but when you have everything measured is easy. I have tools so it wasn't difficult with the right tools. This summer I'm planting a lot of lettuces, herbs, etc.

Awesome! Best of luck with this amazing project, make sure to take some pictures and share them here :) I'd love to see how this works out and yeah, you totally nailed it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Wow @Gilcano, awesome. The PVC idea is genius. I will definitely copy your design (if you don't mind).

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will be copy your idea of the tower also, it is a good idea for people that do not want to do a lot of bending or spending time on the old knees. What tool did you use to cut the holes in the barrel?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow @Gilcano, awesome. The PVC idea is genius. I will definitely copy your design (if you don't mind).
Of course not. I'll be more that happy too inspire anyone......................:whistle:

I will be copy your idea of the tower also, it is a good idea for people that do not want to do a lot of bending or spending time on the old knees. What tool did you use to cut the holes in the barrel?
Yes exactly, I used a grinder with a cutting blade and a jigsaw. To open the holes I used a heat gun and a piece of 2"x 4"............:cool:

Ask a Question