My succulent's core is being destroyed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help. My (I'm not sure exactly what kind) succulent's stem has almost been completely destroyed. I just noticed this and I would really like to keep this plant, so what's happening and how should I handle this?

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

This is a Haworthiopsis sp. It has been growing in less-than-ideal light. It now has a damaged stem that may be a side-product of rot. Remove the already half-severed top. You can try to re-root it, though if it is rotting, success may be slim. In any case, move both pots, the original plant and the cutting, into brighter light and cut back on the watering. Let the soil mostly dry before watering again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

This is a Haworthiopsis sp. It has been growing in less-than-ideal light. It now has a damaged stem that may be a side-product of rot. Remove the already half-severed top. You can try to re-root it, though if it is rotting, success may be slim. In any case, move both pots, the original plant and the cutting, into brighter light and cut back on the watering. Let the soil mostly dry before watering again.
Okay, thank you for replying! Should I let the cutting dry out completely before trying to replant it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let the cut dry for a day, that is enough. If there is already a rot infection within the plant's tissues, letting the cutting dessicate won't help. Just plant it, and hope for the best, giving it the same improved care as the mother plant.

Ask a Question