My Pink Wild Pear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here is a picture of my baby Pink Wild Pear (Dombeya Burgessiae). It's native to South Africa and is really easy to propagate from seeds as well as easy to care for. I started it from seed about 4 months ago. It's leaves are something I have never encountered before...kind of like an ultra soft Kleenex...velvety. It's doing great sitting in a south window in the bathroom.

20151123_163501.jpg

THIS IS WHAT IT WILL EVENTUALLY LOOK LIKE WHEN ALL GROWN UP AND FLOWERING. THE FLOWERS CHANGE FROM WHITE TO SHADES OF PINK DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF SUNLIGHT THEY RECEIVE.

20130105_120941.jpg

dombeya_burgessiae_1_0.jpg

51p4S8fhyCL._SX425_.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I'm so curious about the leaves now! Maybe like sage leaves with that velvety feel?

Looks like it's doing super well though, and the fact that it was grown from seed is a lovely achievement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are just show-off guy, aren't you? :) Your plant is doing so well, and you are the only one that I know (?) with so many healthy indoors plants in Michigan! The flowers are just so adorable and I can imagine the fragrance they will give out. Do you bring it outside in the summer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful plant, I've never seen anythng like it here. And it grows so fast!
Does it bear fruits? If yes, are they edible? Pink pears sound delicious:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks you guys :D
@Fernsdaddy This is a subtropical plant so it can't stay outside where I live. It does say on the seed packet that it can handle brief frosts but I wouldn't take the chance.
@amelia88 I'm not familiar with sage but everywhere you read about the pink pear tree it's leaves are indeed described as velvety. Like I said, they are so soft it's unnatural.
@IcyBC :ROFLMAO: I'm not showing off!! I know you're kidding about that. I just thought I would share something neat that can easily be grown indoors. I saw a picture of it and looked into it and it struck me as something I could grow. I couldn't find anywhere online where it could be bought already growing. No one I know has ever heard of it or seen one. All the pictures I have found online seem to be taken from nurseries in Africa. I will take it out this summer. It has always been in the bathroom window since it germinated. I water it twice a week, turn it a half turn everyday, and that is all I do. Easiest thing I have to grow
@claudine It grows super fast. In 3 years it will reach it's full height which is about 12 feet. I won't let it get that tall though. I'll keep it at about half that. It can be grown as a shrub or small tree. It does bear fruit but I couldn't find anywhere online that described the taste. Hopefully, I will be able to let you know some day ;)

Here is the description that sold me on buying the seeds:

Dombeya burgessiae has large, velvety, lobed leaves which create a lush, tropical effect. It is versatile as it can be grown in shade, making it an effective shrub/tree for a water garden or mini-forest. In full flower the tree is covered by a blanket of pale pink. After flowering, the flowers turn golden brown, remaining on the tree for some time, and making an attractive display. Dombeya burgessiae is very fast growing and can reach full size in three years. - See more at: http://kumbulanursery.co.za/plants/dombeya-burgessiae#sthash.V6g29aQj.dpuf

20151124_155849.jpg

HERE YOU CAN SEE THE LITTLE HAIRS THAT COVER THE LEAF. MAKES IT ULTRA SOFT
20151124_160012.jpg

Attachments

• 20151124_155820.jpg
    20151124_155820.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are so much better than me in remembering to water it and turning it a bit! Yes, and I am joking about the showing-off part :) I am just amazed with all your plants. They are all healthy and gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You are so much better than me in remembering to water it and turning it a bit! Yes, and I am joking about the showing-off part :) I am just amazed with all your plants. They are all healthy and gorgeous!
HA! You give me too much credit! It's all just habit. Come home from work, turn all plants, water what needs watered, THEN go about my business. I might be a little more attentive about it because the majority of what I have I grew from seeds. It's kind of like vegetables you grow vs. those you buy. Sure, home grown tastes better, but there is also that extra satisfaction of knowing you are eating something YOU grew. I feel extra obligated to take special care because they started from a seed. That make sense?

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Hi. Is this a pink wild pear or also known as a tropical rose hydrangea?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2020-04-07 14.18.40.jpg
    2020-04-07 14.18.40.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 138

Ask a Question