My own Eco-system (Composting and More)

Reaction score
I down sized from a large house with a yard to a duplex with a really interesting 3 tiered and private yard. Actually when I move in it was a sandy sort of hillside, that I tiered using wood and rock. I put grass on the top tier, but levels 2 and 3 were reserved for my garden. Since this was a bit more rural than I was used to, I decided to take advantage of composting are really comitting to utilizing everything and wasting nothing.

I cook alot and I have a tray on my counter for all things destined for the compost pile. I have trash service (with regular, recyclable and green waste bins) and fill my recycle bin with "everything" that the service will accept. I have my own receptacle for my cans and bottles which I take to the redemption center. My trash bin is typically not full each week because I (and my friends and guests who I am "training) end up creating less waste than that which is picked up for recycle, that which ends up in the compost or that which I take back for redemption. Before anything is "thrown out", I place it on a table near my back door. If it is "phased" as I call it. If it is trash it is thrown out but more likely it will have a different fate of recycle or being composted.

I had a friend (the earth country typical California stereotype) who was so proud of me they call my place the "Biosphere". If you dont recall the story, look it up. It was one of the greatest compliments I received and I love showing my system to friends and particularly their children to show what can be done to help the earth and all of us.

So what's your story on adding to the commitment?

Reaction score
Good for you, justforus!

We also collect rainwater, although this year there has been little point, since we barely had to water with our frequent rains.

We have probably the least garbage any given pick-up period (bi-weekly) in our neighbourhood, and it makes me feel good. I love to re-purpose stuff, or to "upgrade" it. We just finished refacing our kitchen cabinets, instead of replacing them. I just hate the thought of throwing something like that out, when it is perfectly good, just dated. I built some custom bits to make the layout more useful for us, and then we sanded down and refinished the doors - it looks like a completely new kitchen, and there was hardly any waste.

I also am really committed to not buying (or salvaging) anything unless we really need it. That helps keep the waste down as well. And I do a lot of cooking and baking, and very little purchasing of portioned foods, to keep the packaging down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That's funny, I was just thinking last night how I have so little garbage in my kitchen can because I don't eat meat (no animal waste in the trash) and I compost all my kitchen scraps. The trash can inside only fills up when I am cleaning and clearing out old stuff that can't be reused.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not doing the worm bin stuff anymore on account of trying to sell the house and not wanting to have to deal with half a ton of slimey stuff, so kitchen waste goes to the council composting facility.

Still composting garden waste, anything burnable goes toward heating the house. Tins, plastic bottles & glass gets picked up by the council. Send about one dustbin bag a month to landfill. would rather do less, but so much stuff comes with unnecessary plastic packaging.

Reaction score
I am proud of all of you. I forgot about the rainwater so thanks Crazy... I also toss out any ice remaining in glasses for that drip effect on my patio plants.

If you think back before municipalities were putting out bins, how much did we formerly put in a land fill. I am also very happy to see sites like Craigslist and the Reader with "Free" sections where people are giving away everything from furniture to art to toys that would otherwise too be trashed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
One bag per month is pretty good, @zigs. I need to investigate why we didn't get a recycling bin delivered, but I always forget to call up and then I get busy... I had been putting my stuff in other people's bins, but it's not always convenient. They only pick up paper, plastic and cans, not glass, so that has to go someplace else.

With all the rain yesterday, I went out this morning and there wasn't even an inch worth in the bin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They're trying to discourage people from using new plastic bags from the supermarkets over here. Tescos give you a penny for every bag you re use (When the cashier notices) Or you can buy a sturdier "bag for life" for about 20p.

When that one finally wears out you can swap it for a new one for free.

Almost every supermarket car park over here has huge recycling bins for Glass, Plastic Bottles, Paper, Cardboard, Shoes, Clothes etc.

If you put stuff out in a different container Chanell, they'll usually take it if its obvious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have reusable bags. The sturdy ones came from Whole Foods and they give a 10 cent discount when you bring your own. They eliminated plastic altogether some time ago and now only have paper which you can either reuse or return for recycling. People here are slow to get on the reuse recycle bandwagon so there is still a lot of plastic, but many people bring their own reusable bag.

Reaction score
I love the grocery bags made from recycled materials. We have a bunch, and the only problem is that they really attract dog fur. Remember back when there were no plastic bags? I just remember the garbage going into paper bags or just going straight in the bin when I was a kid - a lot less non-biodegradable waste back then! We are lucky here, our city picks up paper, plastics, metal and glass, and it does hot composting, so there is very little biodegradable material that they don't take in the green bins. We usually freeze anything really smelly - meat or fish products for instance - and usually it only takes us about a month to remember to take them out of the freezer and put them in the compost bin on garbage day! :p

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to say that a lot of the farmers? ranchers? not sure what you call them, but the people raising cows or pigs around here, buy compost from the city for animal bedding instead of straw. It's cheaper and keeps the animals warmer in the winter than straw does, and luckily there is never a shortage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, I forgot to say that a lot of the farmers? ranchers? not sure what you call them, but the people raising cows or pigs around here, buy compost from the city for animal bedding instead of straw. It's cheaper and keeps the animals warmer in the winter than straw does, and luckily there is never a shortage.

Wow, where do you live? There is some community composting that takes place here; for a time I was taking my scraps to the farmer's market before I was able to set up a bin at home, and I use to work at a school that had a garden program.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love the grocery bags made from recycled materials. We have a bunch, and the only problem is that they really attract dog fur.

Maybe you could switch to a different type of bag, such as a canvas tote? I don't know of any cloth material that pet hair doesn't stick to, but the bags I have are a sort of fleece on the inside and some kind of plastic on the outside. I think they are made from recycled bottles. Of course, I prefer my big canvas tote for produce because it's washable.

Can't say I do remember a time before plastic bags. Even before grocery use, it seems they have been around forever.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It was paper bags when I was little, but back then you wouldn't dream of going shopping without a shopping bag, everyone had one.

So much more stuff was wrapped in paper packaging back then too, even crisps (potato chips) were in paper bags. they had a little greaseproof paper twist in the bag that had the salt in. If they'd been salted in the factory they would be all soggy by the time you bought them, so you put the salt on when you opened them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So much more stuff was wrapped in paper packaging back then too, even crisps (potato chips) were in paper bags. they had a little greaseproof paper twist in the bag that had the salt in. If they'd been salted in the factory they would be all soggy by the time you bought them, so you put the salt on when you opened them.

That is amazing! I can't imagine any snack food being sold in a paper bag as it would become stale rather quickly. I do remember there was this company that sold snacks in tall canisters - Charles Chips - and you could even get stuff delivered to you. Just checked online and found the company, or some version of it, still exists: http://www.charleschips.com/.

Ask a Question