My Osteomeles is sick...

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello,

My young Osteomeles is sick, I suspect he got it from a dying pumpkin that was near him.
I cut the pumpkin and threw it away, (it eventually died).
Then, I quarantined the Osteomeles.

Has anyone encountered this sickness before?
Is there anything I can do, or is it too late?
20200920_154543.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like either spider mites or thrips. You can spray with Neem oil to control both. You will need to reapply it every week until new leaves don’t show any damage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you did well to quarantine this plant. It looks a bit awful doesn`t it. All I can say is that this is a member of the rose family which is prone to mildew/mould.
Many would question my advice here, but I think back to finding a plant of mine (a euonymus) that looked so awful, it had scale and mould and the leaves were all falling off. I was advised to pull it up and burn it, but decided I would cut it off at the very base - clean everything away to the bonfire, and see what happened. That was a couple of years ago. Today it is a small but very healthy little plant :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I think you did well to quarantine this plant. It looks a bit awful doesn`t it. All I can say is that this is a member of the rose family which is prone to mildew/mould.
Many would question my advice here, but I think back to finding a plant of mine (a euonymus) that looked so awful, it had scale and mould and the leaves were all falling off. I was advised to pull it up and burn it, but decided I would cut it off at the very base - clean everything away to the bonfire, and see what happened. That was a couple of years ago. Today it is a small but very healthy little plant :giggle:

Thank you @Tetters, I did the same.
But Unfortunately mine did not recover.

Oh well, sometimes things like that happen.

Ask a Question