My orchid. I received 3 days ago as gift and look!!! What is on it. Its in an East facing window

Reaction score
Country
United States
FE0C97F5-C9C2-4263-8036-EC34050F291F.jpeg
E02FB505-AA45-4EF2-B24C-6CF3D7CCEA53.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like mould, but can`t be sure. Is it isolated to the one flower/bud or all over the plant?

If isolated, I would cut that section out if not sure, but otherwise I`d carefully remove the ''fluff'' with a damp rag to see if it comes back.

That is the kind of gift I like to receive - we just bought some hardy garden orchids from a local centre.
Your plant is lovely, hope we can sort out the problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. It seems to be just on a few flowers on that one stem. I’ll do as you suggested. Thank you so much
Is the humidity too high in my condo?

I live in the Pacific Northwest now, but when I lived in Southern California I had several varieties of orchids in pots in the back yard. They loved that climate and rewarded me with abundant flowers in February.

I haven’t had much luck with orchids as houseplants. Hope I can keep this alive. The same son who gave me my first orchid on CA gave me this one.

Thank you again

Carol

It’s not “fluff”. It’s white, crusty,!!! I got it off. Thanks

Enjoy yoir orchids!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From here in the UK it is very difficult to give opinions on your situation. All I can talk about is my own experience with the plants. Here, the winter is cold, and plants outside need to be pretty hardy. My own orchids live mainly in pots on a north facing window ledge - north being the shady side. The plants seem happy to be there and I don`t have any issues with them. They put up with the central heating during the winter, and don`t need any direct sunshine in the summer.
I imagine they wouldn`t especially appreciate too much humidity, and that might well be the cause of the apparent mould on the one you have.
I wish you good luck with your plant, and hope it thrives.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From here in the UK it is very difficult to give opinions on your situation. All I can talk about is my own experience with the plants. Here, the winter is cold, and plants outside need to be pretty hardy. My own orchids live mainly in pots on a north facing window ledge - north being the shady side. The plants seem happy to be there and I don`t have any issues with them. They put up with the central heating during the winter, and don`t need any direct sunshine in the summer.
I imagine they wouldn`t especially appreciate too much humidity, and that might well be the cause of the apparent mould on the one you have.
I wish you good luck with your plant, and hope it thrives.

Thank you so much for your response. I know it is difficult to tell from a photo but I just don’t know where to go. I appreciate your help. Thank you again

Ask a Question