My maple Attempt 4

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is my 4th attempt at growing maples. I planted 1 maple this time. Here is a picture of the sugar maple that the seed came from:

Maple_Tree[1].jpg

Here is what my maple looks like on Day 0:

My_Maple_Day_0[1].jpg

My phone camera automatically did a flash when taking a picture of this maple from a top view which is why the right side looks yellower than it actually is.

I watered it in a small radius so that the seed wouldn't get too much water and also because I expect it to rain tonight or tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Right now I have about 850 thousand maple spinner seeds all over my lawn, deck, truck,pond, vegetable and perennial beds - and I'm sweeping and scooping and weeding those little buggers out right and left when they take root LOL. Maples are really cool and hardy trees, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Wow, sugar maple! We have a maple out front, planted by the town. It's a cheap swamp maple, lots of keys like Beth has, but ours also houses nests of birds who seem to have one specific purpose in life and that is to poop on my car each time I wash it and sometimes bonus rounds in between.

Are you planning on tapping and making maple syrup?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes I am but more importantly, if when my momma, dad, and I move out we don't have a house surrounded by trees with an area that gets a lot of sunlight I am planning to transplant it from potted to in ground. This 1 maple together with a few other trees that I will probably plant directly in ground instead of transplanting it could in a few decades turn into a whole forest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope it will grow healthy and big:) I'd love to grow a sugar maple too. Maple sugar and syrup sound like delicious treats:) I've always had a soft spot for sweets!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope it will too. The length of the wing above ground has now halved(1/2 of an inch of the wing is in the soil). It was originally 1 inch above ground(this is just an approximation) and now it is half an inch. I think it might sprout by tomorrow or the next day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It halved again to 1/4 inch of the wing being above the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Unfortunately I think it died.

At first after I watered it, it was a healthy sprout. Soon afterwards it rained for several days during the mornings. Even though no water accumulated at the bottom of the pot and the soil was a well draining soil the leaves still yellowed after a few days of rain. I stopped watering when it was raining and always tested the soil for moisture by putting my finger in it. It was always moist. After a few weeks of this the leaves fell off(There also hasn't been any growth during those weeks so somehow the rain was stunting the growth of the tree(Which is kind of counter-intuitive)).

I only planted 1 maple because I was thinking "The less maples I plant the less risk there is of any maple getting a disease(since disease risk rises with numbers) and I will be more likely to spot weeds right when they sprout(I can tell the maple and the weeds apart since the weeds have small baby leaves that could grow into more trees(Where I am at it would most likely be elm trees sprouting) and the maple has bigger baby leaves). Also it will more likely form bark during the mid-late summer and early fall and have a lower chance of injury(My 2nd attempt resulted in both maples being injured and trying to heal mid-winter during their 3rd year)"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Right now I have about 850 thousand maple spinner seeds all over my lawn, deck, truck,pond, vegetable and perennial beds - and I'm sweeping and scooping and weeding those little buggers out right and left when they take root LOL. Maples are really cool and hardy trees, though.

One man's meat is another man's poison indeed!!!

Ask a Question