My Greenhouse Experiments

Reaction score
For multiple reasons (including solar heat and having a space for indoor plants), I am interested in someday adding a sunspace to the house. In order to prepare for that project, I've done a couple smaller greenhouses. I've seen room for improvements, some of which I've taken care of, and others that I haven't gotten to yet.

The first (and also most recent) project was a little greenhouse overtop of the outdoor basement stairs. The main idea was to make a shelter for firewood stacked on the steps, and a platic cover on a frame was cheaper than particle board, roofing, etc. Originally, it was just as wide as the steps, but I added some more space on the north side for more wood storage.
IMG02229-20131201-1004.jpg
IMG02230-20131201-1005.jpg

The grey bucket is for chipping bark into for mulch before the wood goes in the stove. The black barrel I'm thinking of putting water in for heat storage. I do have a few pots of oak seedlings off to the side to try to keep going over winter. Plan is to put them in the woods to help draw deer in. Also want to add a door to the side for ease of loading wood in. I may try to make the north side higher too. This plastic was leftover from a commercial greenhouse, as the original plastic I bought was too thin and got ate up by the sun within a couple months.

I built this little greenhouse to try to start flowers and garden plants for the wife. It's about 8x12. The plastic I had for this was the same as the original plastic on the woodshed, and it the sun destroyed it too.
540652_785542908892_1762506828_n.jpg
285652_785543148412_81294397_n.jpg

We talked about possibly using this greenhouse as a storage shed for the lawn mowers. It's been open to the weather for all but a couple months, but using treated wood on it has helped it hold up good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love the framework! I have a home made greenhouse with a plastic top but my frame is not nearly as nice as yours!

I did learn that if cold-hardy plants are established in the summer, that they can be picked for quite a while in the late fall and early winter. Last year I picked salad greens and beet greens until January, and then I picked the beets!

This year I never got around to putting the plastic up, and so I just threw plastic sheets over the garden beds that had cold-hardy plants in them, and so far it is working well for me. We got weather that was 13 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 Celsius), and the swiss chard looks just wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, RedNeckCowBoy007, your greenhouses are wonderful! I love how tidy they look. Also, the first one is really big. Your will be able to plant many lovely flowers and delicious vegetables there. I wish my boyfriend built a grenhouse for me:D

Reaction score
Many thanks.
I wanted to build them to last, even though they're both just "temporary structures". Figured if I'm gonna do it, I wanna do it right.
The first one is mainly a woodshed, although it currently has some tree seedlings in it. They may end up somewhere else though if I get a chance to fill it with wood... The heat held in (and air circulation from warm air rising and leaving and pulling in cold air) helps to season the wood quicker so it burns cleaner...
If we ever get around the covering the second one again, it will be the starter house for veggies and such.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Covering the stairwell is a great idea. I wonder if we covered our outside stairwell with plastic would it keep the lower level from getting so cold. This winter looks like it is going to be cold so covering the wood would keep it dry and easy to burn. Thanks for the ideas.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your greenhouses! I am going to have to show the first one to my uncle! He has a wood burning stove, but currently just stacks his wood on the porch. I am sure making a greenhouse like your first one would clear up his porch and be better suited for stacking more wood. Did you use pallets for some of the floor?

Reaction score
Pat - I'm sure that covering the stairwell would help, as I know covering windows with a layer of plastic can make a big difference in how much heat escapes and cold comes in around them. And yes, it definitely helps keep the snow and rain off the wood (although I have some patching to do on the metal overtop of the side of the woodshed; one negative of getting used metal).

Mariam - You're very welcome. I love being able to go get wood in just a t-shirt and not have to worry about wind or snow falling on my head. I think I may need to make it a little bigger yet though. Lol. To make the side, I levelled the ground, put some weedmat/watershed down, and then put down a couple inches of #9 limestone, which is the main floor. I did use some slabs of wood to keep the wood off the rock, but I didn't want to use full pallets due to the space they would take up. Figured I gained a row of wood that way, and I have some airflow holes in places to help the air move through the wood, anyways.

Reaction score
Are you planning on adding any lights to your setup? The only thing that concerns me looking at your photos is the colour of film you have chosen to use, since it will stop most UV plants need from getting through... Personally I would be going with a clear film... If you have chosen that one for a reason I would be very interested in hearing the idea behind it..

I really like the frame you are using though it allows for plenty of things to be hung from it, so perhaps lights can be added to it later.

Also do you have a drainage and water recovery system, or does it all run to waste?

Reaction score
I'm using the plastic I am (in the first couple pics) because I got it for free from my boss. He had it laying around after getting it from the "big" local greenhouse place for use on his greenhouse, but didn't need it. Most of the local garden centers around here use that white plastic on their greenhouses. I don't know why. Just telling what I know. I had bought a clear plastic before, but it was a lot thinner and broke down in less than 1 season. I eventually want to go with clear plexiglass or something, Lord willing, but free is the only thing in my budget right now.
The frame was basically just a slightly less sturdy wall and roof frame for a house. Just wanted to use less material and leave more light in that a normal housing frame would.
All my water run off goes through the rocks at the bottom of the frame and then out to the side and into the yard. I have plastic pond liner that I'm using for weed-mat under the rocks.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has been so cold here we have not been able to use the lower level of the house without a space heater. Before next winter or if we get a break in the cold temperatures we should try to enclose the outside stairwell. It actually feels like a window is open down there at times. The windows were replaced all around the house a few years back.

I am afraid to think what the new heating bill will look like, we have had to run the furnace higher than normal for weeks now because of the cold.

Reaction score
Enclosing your stairwell would probably help a lot, but I would also be checking to see if there are any areas that need to be better insulated or weatherstripped. I know with our house, the upper level was insulated pretty good, but the area between the top of the concrete wall and the bottom of the basement ceiling (in between the rafters/floor joists) had no insulation beyond the foam boarding beneath the siding. Insulating that made a big difference in how much heat escaped the basement.

Reaction score
Back to the idea of what plastic, I forgot to say before that I do have some windows that I got really cheap that I want to put in some areas to help get more light and heat in. Eventually, I'd like to cover the areas that get sunlight in the winter with a clear plexiglass, but I think that will be awhile... At some point, Lord willing that we stay in the house, I want to put a true sunspace on the South wall of the house for solar heat and growing plants, as well as a nice relaxation area. Gonna hafta quit nickel and diming these little projects in order to do that, though...

Reaction score
Wonderful reserved Greenhouses! Using this specific web page make up acclaim of our own Terminology of usage along with Each of our Solitude Greenhouses, Commercial Greenhouses and Greenhouse kit.
greenhouse

Ask a Question