My foxglove is still alive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I purchased foxglove seeds 3 years ago and at the time I understood that they would not flower until the next year and then die that summer. They did just that until late summer they were still alive and they stayed green all winter. Now, on there third year of life, they are beginning to shoot up stalks for flowers. (I did not cut off the seed pods last year). Are they going to die this year or are they going to stay alive indefinitely? (I live in grow zone 7).

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Common Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) often exhibits monocarpy, that is the plant blooms once and then dies. However, a particularly vigorous or branched plant may sometimes survive flowering to grow again the following season.
Also most commonly, Digitalis purpurea will act as a biennial and bloom in its second year. But again there is variability. Some plants will not bloom until the third year ro later, behaving as a short-lived perennial. (The term 'triennial' is not standard). Conversely, some individuals may flower the first year as an annual. Indeed, plant breeders have selected for seed strains of annual Foxglove.

So the short answer to your question is you'll have to wait to find out.

Ask a Question