My first monstera is not doing well :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
My monstera has some kind of sunburn on it maybe from a day on the porch. It has been well watered. What do y’all think?
97CBD040-D815-40FB-930A-B1FAA709A5F4.jpeg
FE51C116-0AB1-486E-9322-07785218A00B.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
If the plant's light levels suddenly changed that may be the reason. Moving a plant from less light to more light should be done gradually or in cooler weather. Speaking of temperature, how cold is it getting at night in your area? Cold damage can also look like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
From what I have read Monstera deliciosa prefers dappled sun. I have mine in a window getting direct sun in the morning and late evening then partial shade during the peak afternoon.

These are an understory plant in the wild and don't really get blasted with light. These guys grow in shaded areas until they hit a tree trunk then will climb the tree to reach upper levels and more light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
What can I do to help it recover?
That's where the answer is going to suck.

A plant doesn't heal itself like an animal. Rather it replaces or builds around.

That leaf will always be sunburnt and show the results of it with dead tissue.

The best thing you can do is find an area and light level the plant likes and keep it there. Then the plant will start sending out new leafs.

I bought my Monstera with two leafs about the size of yours back in late April (really it is two vines in one pot and each vine had a leaf that size). Now each of the vines has set 5 new large leafs and the most recent to emerge is 13 inches across and has the center holes (not just the split finger leafs).

Winter in the northern US will be difficult for the plants as our homes dry out so much with the central heating running.

Ask a Question