My first indoor herb garden -- help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Let me start off by saying that I'm not really an experienced gardener at all. However, I want to learn because I would love to get started with planting my own herbs, vegetables, fruits, etc. I love to cook and bake and would love to be able to use my own fresh herbs, cook my own vegetables and use my own fruits in jams, jellies and desserts. But, I digress...

My question is, does anyone have any advice for my very first indoor herb garden? Is it acceptable to purchase those pre-made kits that supposedly come with everything that you need, or should I purchase things separately? How can I get started? I have seen so many conflicting things online, so I'm hoping that maybe one of ya'll can break it down for me. :) I actually bought a little over-the-sink shelf that matches my Fat Chef kitchen, and I want to place it in the front of the window for my herb garden if possible. I really appreciate any tips that ya'll might have...thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I noticed that you started another thread saying you bought a kit. That is probably great for a beginner.

I haven't grown herbs inside, but I have grown other plants inside. When my younger daughter was around 9 or 10, she planted garlic in a pot and kept it in her room. It grew great!

The over the sink shelf sounds good to me. Since I've not done this particular thing, I would say, "Jump in!" - especially if you have a kit. You can play to see what you can grow, too.

Well, I'm going over to see what you said on the other thread.

Reaction score
I suggest that since you are a starter, you go for the kit. Kits pretty much provide everything you need, and just the right amount for everything that you might be needing. In kits, there are literature and notes provided, so it is like learning things, too! Little by little, you will learn from these kits, and until such time that you are an expert, you can buy in individuals. But for a starter, I suggest the kit.

Reaction score
The kits are a great way to start out. Everything, including the directions are included. While you are waiting for things to get growing hit the internet and learn as much as you can about what you are growing. Also, make sure your window sill garden is in a location that gets plenty of sunshine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suggest that since you are a starter, you go for the kit. Kits pretty much provide everything you need, and just the right amount for everything that you might be needing. In kits, there are literature and notes provided, so it is like learning things, too! Little by little, you will learn from these kits, and until such time that you are an expert, you can buy in individuals. But for a starter, I suggest the kit.

I agree here. It might be yield the best result, but in terms of safety and making sure you do things right, these are just a safe way to go. I know that me personally, I need a little security and a sense that I am going in the right directing, just to prevent myself from going crazy and second guessing everything that I do. I would invest in one of these kits, but either way best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question