My Elderberry Bush is blooming !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I was looking out back through the meadow this morning, and I noticed some creamy white blossoms in the far end of the meadow, so I went out to check it out. It turned out to be an elderberry bush in bloom that we had not noticed before.
Now that I know it is there, I am going to clear out some of the other brush and plants around it, so it can get better light, and grow and bush out.
Maybe we will even get a few elderberries for a jar of jam this fall ? That would be awesome !
Here is a picture of it.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a really gorgeous elderberry bush, it looks very healthy and big. I'm sure that it was a lovely surprise to find it.
I hope that you'll get a few elderberries:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It is kind of back in the trees a little bit, so I need to clear the brush around it and give it more sunshine, and room to grow. Now that I know there are elderberries, I am going to look and see if maybe I can find more of them. If I find a small one, I can transplant it up closer to the house where I can take care of it better.
Has anyone ever used elderberries or made jam with the berries before ? My mom talked about making jam and even elderberry wine, but I have never tried making anything with elderberries .

Reaction score
I didn't know elderberries were a real thing. I thought they were fictional because I remember the guy in Monty Python and the Holy Grail saying " Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries." That is a gorgeous photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Yes, elderberries are real ! They are a tiny little dark blue/purple berry that grows in clusters. They are smaller than currents, and do not ave a whole lot of flavor, so they are not usually sold in stores. You wouldn't want to just find an elderberry bush and start snacking.
However, my mother said that once they are cooked and sweetened, they do make tasty jam.
Unless I find more elderberry bushes out in the pasture, I am not going to have much berries to make jam, but at least enough to test it out.
I like making the freezer jam that you make using jello to set the jam, and I think it would mix well with either a grape or raspberry jello.
Here is a webpage with great pictures of both the shrub, and the flowers and berries, as well as ideas for adding an elderberry bush to your landscape.

http://tcpermaculture.blogspot.com/2012/09/permaculture-plants-elderberry.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You can make wines, jellies or cordials from the flowers of the elder.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516164/displayVideo/hi

Elderflower Jelly with Strawberries

• Elderflower cordial
  • 7oz/200g wild strawberries
  • 6 leaves gelatine
Make 500ml of elderflower cordial.
Soften the gelatine in the cordial. Fill the mould and place the jelly in the fridge.

Hull and wash the fruit and set it aside. The jelly needs to be almost set, which will take about two hours, before you push the strawberries into it. Do it too soon and they'll float. You're aiming for a crystal clear gel with the strawberries even distributed through it, looking as though they're just hanging there.

This recipe works just as well with blueberries, redcurrants or whatever fruit is in season (except pineapple or kiwi, which will stop the jelly setting).

http://www.thewinepages.org.uk/elderflower_wine_recipe.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congratulations! I'm excited with you because one of my strawberry plants is flowering. I didn't expect to see blooms on the plant until next year. Now if flowers appear on the Meyer lemon... lol. I think it's too late this year though (sigh). I'm up to 4 fruit plants now - very exciting!

Ask a Question