My Curious Blue Flowers

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
We have a carpet of greenery across one of our beds and every year around March or April time it opens into a mass of pretty blue flowers. They look lovely but only last a short time - literally no more than a few weeks. The photo shows them just coming out - the spread does get fuller !! Does anyone know what they are please ? Thanks.
2015-04-06 12.19.30.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Grape Hyacinths, one of the first bulbs I ever bought, 1p each from Robert Dyas when I was about 7 :)

Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Oh wow !! Thank you so much :) I can see hyacinth now that I look at the shape but most of the hyacinths I've seen have been upright..Is it normal for them to only flower for such a short time or should I be doing something for them ? Can you remember what you did when you were 7 ? lol

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh wow !! Thank you so much :) I can see hyacinth now that I look at the shape but most of the hyacinths I've seen have been upright..Is it normal for them to only flower for such a short time or should I be doing something for them ? Can you remember what you did when you were 7 ? lol

No worries :)

Yep, had me own little veg patch with Beetroot and Radishes, remember watching the moon landing and flying to Austria that year too :)

Mind you, I can still remember being in my pram before i'd learned to talk :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One of those plants that you plant once and spend the rest of eternity taking out. They seed everywhere here. Dead heading is an absolute necessity.
By the way, they also come in white, pink, pale blue and other members of the family are yellowish and there are even brown ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen white grape hyacinths in person. I'm sure they look very pretty.
I love those little plants. They grow everywhere like weeds, but I'll never get bored with looking at them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My neighbor has a row of this grape hyacinths along one of the walls of her garage, and they look lovely against the white wall. They are one of the first flowers to bloom during the time frame you have mentioned here where I live too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That sounds lovely, IcyBC! I like the combination of blue and white. Grape hyacints are beautiful flowers, they grow in my parents' garden too.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have some in our yard also, I think they were deposited by the wind or a bird as they are not in a bed just one here and there. They are pretty when they bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
One of those plants that you plant once and spend the rest of eternity taking out. They seed everywhere here. Dead heading is an absolute necessity.
By the way, they also come in white, pink, pale blue and other members of the family are yellowish and there are even brown ones.

Really, dead heading these wee little flowers. who has the time and I certain would not. I love my wee flowers of early spring spitting anywhere their hearts desire. One thing nice about the wee early naturlizers bulbs they come up just as the snow is leaving and color up the yard in so many surprising ways. As they do not stay up long, and gone just about when its time to cut the grass, which does not hurt them any to cut them along with the grass should they be in your lawn area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
and as I read this, this is where my heart would hurt, if one day I sell my home with all the plants etc. People will not have a clue all the stuff that is there and what to do with it. So sad. I hope to find the right person to give it all to them. For I know the price of the house will not even touch the time, and plant costs placed in my many gardens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We find time to remove the seed pods from as many as we can, otherwise they come up everywhere and choke out many of the other small Spring flowering bulbs which we have. Something like Acis vernus just cannot compete with Muscari leaves. Nor can Scilla bifolia or Chionodoxa (now Scilla).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We find time to remove the seed pods from as many as we can, otherwise they come up everywhere and choke out many of the other small Spring flowering bulbs which we have. Something like Acis vernus just cannot compete with Muscari leaves. Nor can Scilla bifolia or Chionodoxa (now Scilla).

Wow, cannot imagine taking that time, and the physical labor. Mine are just fine flinging all their seeds anywhere they please all 8,000.00 of them flowering in the front yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Will confess that the ones which have escaped into the road side verge are dead headed with the lawn mower. They still flower every year so it obviously does not do them any great harm.
We mow the verge so we can see when we are driving out.

Ask a Question