My cucumbers are not growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and good morning. I am having a problem. My cucumbers grew well during the summer, but now hardly producing. What am I doing wrong. Posting some pictures, which you can see, that they are flowering, and do produce one at a time.
20200908_083738.jpg
20200908_083741 (1).jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are your high temperatures over 95F daily and are the fruits fully pollinated?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Chuck, thank you for responding. We have had days of 100, close to, and over 100. We have bees and birds, all in the cucumbers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
so Chuck, do you think, that the problem is due to the heat. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
so Chuck, do you think, that the problem is due to the heat. Thank you.
Without a doubt. Also pollen becomes sticky when hot/humid and leads to non-pollination but the temps are the main reason.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Has anyone used cytokinin (fruit set spray) on curcubits to help them flower more during times of struggle like with heat or end of season sunlight hours? I am interested in "fleshy fruits" and their reaction to the phytohormone but the web papers on the subject have my eyes crossing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
We had very high heat all summer and some of my cucumbers grew but they stayed mostly white colored. I talked to 2 other people who told me theirs also stayed white. The taste was Ok though. Early in the summer I got a few green skinned ones. Been growing them over ten years now and this is the first I have seen this happen.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have been curious about random crop behavior and the solar environment since a few years ago when my okra retired itself earlier than I would have expected one year. It gets hot here, and very humid, but okra usually does fine and I have not seen that behavior since that year. Perhaps it was that batch of seed.

Ask a Question