My begonia is bein weird

Reaction score
Country
United States
these two tall shiny leaves have shot up out the side and I can't figure them out. they are not maturing into anything like the main leaves. what is this?

Attachments

• 20220204_095852.jpg
    20220204_095852.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

How fun. You seem to have got a second 'free' plant. Likely a seed or piece of rhizome somehow found its way into the potting soil.
How long have you had the Begonia?
The mystery plant appears to be some type of Aroid (Araceae), possibly an Alocasia, Colocasia, Syngonium, etc. I'm not sure.
I would re-pot the volunteer into its own container and watch it grow. Once it is larger, the leaves should be identifiable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
so this is crazy because I got a snippet of a begonia leaf from a buddy and propagated it in water. then when the roots started I put it in the pot, and it has flourished, but now these funky things have come out the side of it, and when I look down in there it is coming from the main shoot!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm? More photos, please.
I would like to see both a close-up shot of the base of the plant where the two kinds of plant seem to be joined, and also a straight-on shot of the blade of the mystery leaf.

What was growing in the pot before the Begonia?
If the Begonia was planted in newly purchased bagged potting soil, then the seed or propagule might have somehow come along in the bag.

Reaction score
Country
United States
so heres the plant before i recently repotted it, and i tried to seperate the roots of the two, but the normal looking begonias seem to be shooting off the large root of this other. I cut a stem off this mystery begonia a few days ago and it is starting up new leaves quickly. and they curl up at the base of the leave like a begonia yet they are waxy and thinner.
20220204_182109.jpg

Attachments

• 20220204_181045.jpg
    20220204_181045.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
The second plant is a Syngonium podophyllum, probably Syngonium podophyllum 'Cream Allusion', or something similar.

The two plants are separate, though the roots might be tangled. You can even see the cut end of the Syngonium cutting in the photo.

The mystery is how it snuck into the pot right next to the Begonia cutting. Perhaps both plants were also growing together in the pot from which you got the Begonia. Plants are amazing they way they get around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
so heres the plant before i recently repotted it, and i tried to seperate the roots of the two, but the normal looking begonias seem to be shooting off the large root of this other. I cut a stem off this mystery begonia a few days ago and it is starting up new leaves quickly. and they curl up at the base of the leave like a begonia yet they are waxy and thinner. View attachment 87419

The second plant is a Syngonium podophyllum, probably Syngonium podophyllum 'Cream Allusion', or something similar.

The two plants are separate, though the roots might be tangled. You can even see the cut end of the Syngonium cutting in the photo.

The mystery is how it snuck into the pot right next to the Begonia cutting. Perhaps both plants were also growing together in the pot from which you got the Begonia. Plants are amazing they way they get around.
incredible! I snipped the syngonium off and put it seperate to see how everything turns out :)

Ask a Question