My backyard is a mess!

Reaction score
HI,

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a backyard. My dogs use our backyard to play, romp and well..... to take care of business.

Here is my questions. Is there a way to make the grass not be turned brown from where they pee? I have a green lawn with spots of dried up grass. I love my dogs, they are more important than the lawn. But I was wondering if there is something I can do for it to help it along?

Reaction score
I'm not a dog owner, but I think if you water the area where your dogs are urinating it will dilute the urine and minimize lawn damage. Also, you can train your dogs by leading them out on a leash to the area you would like them to use, perhaps one corner of the yard with a post or yard ornament that your dogs can "mark." After a while, maybe a few weeks, they will think of that spot as the proper place to go and you won't have to lead them there. Hope that helps!

Jed

Reaction score
If your lawn already has had a dressing of lawn fertilzer there is more chance that your lawn will burn from dog urine which is high in nitrogen. Watering as suggested as soon as your dogs urinate can help.
You can buy a product called Dog Rocks that you add to your dogs water which supposedly has the affect of neutralising dog urine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Rocks-DOG0001/dp/B000NE2UH4

Reaction score
Well dog's pee is basically a fertilizer, so don't use store-bought fertilizer anywhere. You should be good, but if that doesn't work either, then just water the places they do pee. This will spread out their "fertilizer" and also give the grass enough water to absorb the pee. Try it out and see how it works :)

Reaction score
I agree with the idea of watering where the dogs pee. I have two small dogs and have not had the problem of brown spots where they pee. Trying to train the to just use one spot in the yard to do their business is also a good thought. When I had a large dog, I did water down his pee spots after he had done his business and that helped prevent the browning.

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't let my dogs urinate on the law every day. You're just decreasing the quality of the look of your yard. When you do let them go, I would as other suggest water the lawn immediately. Leaving it there is not a healthy action to take for the health of your lawn. I think the others here have given pretty sound advice and I can't think of anything else to add.

Ask a Question