My attempt to grow Carrots

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10a
Country
Cyprus
With everything else growing in the garden, at times can be quite tiring and frustrating. When you plant carrot seeds you expect them to grow with minimal effort and without intervening. I dread growing carrots. See why..!

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Actually, my carrots do grow with "minimal effort and without intervening". They are one of the easiest veggies to grow. Very low maintenance.

The only difficulty I have is with germination. They need two to three weeks of moist, very lightly covered soil at 55 to 65 deg. to achieve germination. Forget to keep them moist during this time and forget it on germination.

Once germinated, it's basically leave them alone until maturity. Here I plant seeds in the fall (have already started some even though the night temps are still too high) and leave them alone through the fall/winter occasionally harvesting some to thin or just use.

Fun and easy to grow...just a little difficult on the germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty new to vegetable gardening but carrots have always looked after themselves.

• I'm in Ayrshire, Scotland.
  • I've always used Nantes 2 for a forced, early crop and Resistafly for my maincrop.
  • I've grown the earlies in containers and the main crop in a raised bed.
I always think they've failed and think of planting something else - but then one day I notice I've got a big crop of carrots.

The big problem I have is understanding how to store them. I'm guessing the earlies need to be harvested as and when you want to eat them and the maincrop store well. I'm really bad for harvesting everything at the wrong time, or harvesting it then not eating it before it goes off.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The big problem I have is understanding how to store them.

Carrots store for months under refrigeration but store for years with pressure canning. Very easy to can just slice and dice and salt and add pressure. Canning is a good way to also capture and preserve most of the taste.

Ask a Question