Murraya Mock Orange Hedge issue

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

I'm a Newbie ( Yeahhh )..:).

I live in Qld, Australia ( Tropical climate ).

I planted a hedge approx 3 years ago and it has thrived very well in premium soil, horse manure and topped off with sugar cane mulch..

This spring i have noticed a patch on top of the hedge that has gone from bright lush green to a muddy green however under this is still bright and lush green..
The spot in question is also not growing any new growth on top...

Has anyone seen this before and shine some light as to what is going on...

Thanks for Listening .. :).

Attachments

• 20211116_082748.jpg
    20211116_082748.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211116_082909.jpg
    20211116_082909.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211116_082959.jpg
    20211116_082959.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

That is most curious. I'm not certain what is causing this.

One possibility is that it is a genetic difference. Either it is a seedling that has manifested the trait of yellowish leaves which causes slower growth compared to the other Orange-jasmine (Murraya paniculata) in the hedge, or else it is a sporting branch (somatic mutation) that has developed on one of the Murraya shrubs.

Another possibility is that the shrub is suffering decline because of a disease, nutrient deficiency, or due to competition with other plants in the hedge.

I look forward to hearing what other have to say about this. If there is any change for the better or worse, please let us know.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

That is most curious. I'm not certain what is causing this.

One possibility is that it is a genetic difference. Either it is a seedling that has manifested the trait of yellowish leaves which causes slower growth compared to the other Orange-jasmine (Murraya paniculata) in the hedge, or else it is a sporting branch (somatic mutation) that has developed on one of the Murraya shrubs.

Another possibility is that the shrub is suffering decline because of a disease, nutrient deficiency, or due to competition with other plants in the hedge.

I look forward to hearing what other have to say about this. If there is any change for the better or worse, please let us know.
Hi Marck,

"competition with other plants in the hedge" -- I can't see this as the nutrients in the ground are good as you can see with the rest of the healthy hedge and as stated the leaves directly under the top are very healthy... Also they were planted 300mm apart as recommended by the plant growers as its a MinaMin ( dwarf murraya which has a maximum of 600mm growth )..

"One possibility is that it is a genetic difference"-- I traced the branches and it appears to be part of a whole plant so as the rest of the same plant is unaffected i assume it can't be this as part of a plant would not be genetically different than the rest it it...

" suffering decline because of a disease " -- I am guessing it is this so i cut the branches and there appears to be no hole through it which made me disregard Bora so i have just sprayed the whole 130mtrs of hedge and all the plants with Imidacloprid 200 systemic insecticide which i will redo again in 7 days and then we will see what happens after that...

Thx for the reply..

Alan

Attachments

• 20211119_111714.jpg
    20211119_111714.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mentioned that a genetic difference could be a sport or somatic mutation. That would look just as you described it, a single branch appearing different than the rest of the plant.

There is no sign of insect infestation. The use of imidacloprid is not warranted here. That's a waste of your time and money, but worse than that, it is a real shame because it will kill many harmless and beneficial insects over a 130 meter area.

Ask a Question