Mulch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think it's simply leaves. Collect leaves from around your neighborhood, when people put them out on the curb for city pick-up. That's what I do.

If you want to chop them up, use a lawn mower, but many types don't need chopping, example for me are live oak leaves, they look just fine unshredded.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The best mulch can vary, depending on your needs. However, a dual-layer organic mulch, with a lower layer of compost overlain with bark or wood chips can work well for most purposes. If weed suppression is a high priority, consider a third layer of cardboard, above the compost, but underneath the wood chips, but do not put cardboard immediately adjacent to desired plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Two houses down they had some trees taken down, we were able to secure "free" two loads of good wood chips, piled high we have that to work through. they do start to break down after some months.

Ask a Question