mulch in rose hole

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband planted my new roses with a bunch of cypress mulch in the bottom of the holes! Of course the are struggling, leaves curling, and they got black spot, and mildew. I treated them and they are looking slightly better, but I wonder if I should just dig them up and remove the mulch? Would that be even more traumatic for them? Zone 5b, Zepherine Drouhan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
never in my life did i hear of any kind of mulch in the bottom of a hole for any plant. Couple tablespoons of Epson salt yes. At best I would, if it was clay soil, mix it with some peet and little manure, but if you can find mushroom soil the best. Dig it out, and keep husband away from plants. Let the roots sit in some water to help them flush out the stuff before replanting them too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Amen to Esther's post! Explain to husband that mulch is on top of the soil, not in the bottom of a hole. I would also add that cutting the roses back by about 1/4 (removing about 1/4 of each cane) will give the roses more chance to recover. Roses are tougher than we give them credit for, and with a bit of patience and some TLC undoubtedly you'll have roses to be proud of.
Buy the man a Venus Flytrap--that's a plant that can defend itself!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Amen to Esther's post! Explain to husband that mulch is on top of the soil, not in the bottom of a hole. I would also add that cutting the roses back by about 1/4 (removing about 1/4 of each cane) will give the roses more chance to recover. Roses are tougher than we give them credit for, and with a bit of patience and some TLC undoubtedly you'll have roses to be proud of.
Buy the man a Venus Flytrap--that's a plant that can defend itself!

Thank you for your advice. In my husband's defense, he did dig the holes for me! I just wasn't around to supervise the actual planting. I'll be digging them up and trying again. They are too small to cut back at this point however.

Reaction score
Country
United States
never in my life did i hear of any kind of mulch in the bottom of a hole for any plant. Couple tablespoons of Epson salt yes. At best I would, if it was clay soil, mix it with some peet and little manure, but if you can find mushroom soil the best. Dig it out, and keep husband away from plants. Let the roots sit in some water to help them flush out the stuff before replanting them too.

Right on, then. I'll be digging them up next weekend. Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
yes, maybe with already the stress of the poor plants in that mulch it is best not to cut them back. Roses also like fish liquid as a fertilizer. It is stinky, but the label explains the delusion with water.

Ask a Question