Mr. Lincoln and my alkaline clay?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I brought home 4 Mr Lincoln hybrids, which is a challenge for me because I seem to lose grafted roses by not covering for winter. I am going to try again but it has been more than 10 years since the last hybrids so I had better ask about any tricks to growing them given my soil is basically red clay with a 8ph. I have an area with morning and noon sun that drains well in the sense that it is sloped. I would love some companion suggestions as well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think it should be OK

According to this man waffling on TV channel

http://www.jacksonsnurseries.co.uk/rosa-mister-lincoln.html

But one thing intrigues me is that he has question marks here

upload_2018-3-6_7-55-7.png

??? One thing is sure Fragranced! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Perhaps he is not so sure? Generally, thorny or viney plants do well here without my help so I am not too worried. But roots being a mystery to me in this case will make me look to confirm his reports.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Roses are considered best suited to a soil pH of 6.0 to 6.9
Generally accepted a pH of 7.0 is taken as being neutral, let's not get tangled up in th sciencxe and physics here. So our friend's reading is 8.0 At first sight one might simply say. Dig in lots of green maure etc. Anything to lower the pH scale. Fair do's, but we are dealing with clay. Clay changes it's pH values constantly. When sodden it will give one reading. Then suddenly the readings change. Sadly it is one of sciences nightmares. What's the solution? Trial and error. Who knows. Perhaps digging out a vast lump of clay and filing the hole with suitable compost, then planting. OK this might help. Constant acidic feeding may also help. At the end of the day......Have you ever thought of growing????????????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I received 2 Roses and also have clay soil so I am going to try a modified Hugelkulture by burying some rotted pine logs and needles and plant the roses on it. I am going to give them nothing else except water if needed. If they croak I am not out anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Roses are considered best suited to a soil pH of 6.0 to 6.9
Generally accepted a pH of 7.0 is taken as being neutral, let's not get tangled up in th sciencxe and physics here. So our friend's reading is 8.0 At first sight one might simply say. Dig in lots of green maure etc. Anything to lower the pH scale. Fair do's, but we are dealing with clay. Clay changes it's pH values constantly. When sodden it will give one reading. Then suddenly the readings change. Sadly it is one of sciences nightmares. What's the solution? Trial and error. Who knows. Perhaps digging out a vast lump of clay and filing the hole with suitable compost, then planting. OK this might help. Constant acidic feeding may also help. At the end of the day......Have you ever thought of growing????????????

Interesting you would mention changing pH. I am aware that rain is lower pH while the limestone chalk clay we have is a higher pH. I will test the rain sodden area out front as it was puddling this am. Later this summer as the dry time comes, I will test again.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
DM: Would be interesting to see your Access file - full of pHs! Agree with SRunning: Put your desired compost in a big hole and your rose will acclimatise or adapt. I have 100% claymageddon and I don't really mind, now that I have dug in so much organic matter. Still, I would like to be the guy on youtube who talks very loudly and shows off his produce and then let us know that he uses tons of top soil ordered online as the weeding from the manure and garden soil has driven me insane. I looked at my other neighbour's garden and wonder why his garden is so well-weeded. I then realised that he had top soil added from shops.

SR: I wish I had known this HugelKulture earlier. Shame I had to burn all my lovingly cut logs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
alp, I have enough fallen trees to last me for a couple hundred years at least. I am going to do some side by side experimenting with Hugelkulture over the next two growing seasons except I won't be planting in mounds. I will then decide if it is worth the extra work. Since a lot of my soil is little more than orange clay, it seems like it would have to help.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
alp, I have enough fallen trees to last me for a couple hundred years at least. I am going to do some side by side experimenting with Hugelkulture over the next two growing seasons except I won't be planting in mounds. I will then decide if it is worth the extra work. Since a lot of my soil is little more than orange clay, it seems like it would have to help.

Do people sell their logs where you live? Here, my eyes watered when I saw the ridiculous prices people paid to get their kindling logs. Not even logs, but bits. And they bought 3 bags or 4 bags. Don't people buy logs to build houses? Here we have programmes showing people buying up newly felled oak tree to build their A frames! So do you have a big fireplace then? I love the romantic notion, but not so keen cleaning the dust and ashes. My son coughed like hell and I went to the doc and cried why he coughed so badly. The woman said he hadn't developed his immune system:eek::oops:. Ever after that, I just wanted to get rid of the burner. A poor man dismantled it for me for £85 and I then realised we didn't know how to maintain the burner as its lid was sealed up with 7 inches' of soot!:eek::LOL::oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do people sell their logs where you live? Here, my eyes watered when I saw the ridiculous prices people paid to get their kindling logs. Not even logs, but bits. And they bought 3 bags or 4 bags. Don't people buy logs to build houses? Here we have programmes showing people buying up newly felled oak tree to build their A frames! So do you have a big fireplace then? I love the romantic notion, but not so keen cleaning the dust and ashes. My son coughed like hell and I went to the doc and cried why he coughed so badly. The woman said he hadn't developed his immune system:eek::oops:. Ever after that, I just wanted to get rid of the burner. A poor man dismantled it for me for £85 and I then realised we didn't know how to maintain the burner as its lid was sealed up with 7 inches' of soot!:eek::LOL::oops:

In North Carolina logging is huge business. It's hard to drive anywhere in the countryside without seeing log trucks. They are harvesting Southern Pine which is used in the building industry. The hardwoods they just knock down and leave. Many times a large muncher comes in and pulverizes everything. Then they plant nice neat rows of pine saplings. Pine is NOT good for burning in a fireplace. It coats the inside of the chimney with creosote which will catch on fire if it is thick enough. This is why you have chimney sweeps. I have a large fire circle outside but no fireplace in the house. I would rather have my house smell like flowers than burnt wood. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We quite burning in our brick fireplace some years ago. I have cords and cords of firewood just rotting. It wood be good for hugels I am sure.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We quite burning in our brick fireplace some years ago. I have cords and cords of firewood just rotting. It wood be good for hugels I am sure.

I bought coir to add to my clay soil. Not any more. Shame that I have so much improved the soil and now I am thinking of up-stick and leave..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well they got planted along the fence line of the garden so they will stay moist in the summer while having a nice full sun. I used a lot of peat and the natural soil, a little rose food and some innoculant. Immediately need to cover as 31f is the expected low next week. I knew I should have waited past the 15th but could not help myself. Pitifully addicted to planting.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Rose will be OK with 31f. Don't you worry!

Ask a Question