Moving a Rose Bush??

Reaction score
I have a beautiful rose bush that only has one or two beautiful flowers per year and I think it is because the previous owner of the home planted them below trees and it does not get enough sunlight. I would like to move this bush. Is there anything in particular that I should to do move it? A certain time of the year such as spring or fall? Do you think it will fully recover after I move it?

We have been in our home for over 3 years so it is certainly older than that and looked to be a fully grown plant when we moved in. It only has two stems on it after all of this time. It is planted under several trees that hog all of the sunlight. I think that if we move it the bush will flourish.

Any tips or suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey there, Shelly Ann! The best time to transplant a rose bush is probably early spring, so you are still on time to plan this project really well. There are many factors you need to take into account before even attempting this, first: make sure nothing has ever grown on the spot where you want to transplant the rose bush (y) Second: You must dig the hole where you want to put the rose bush beforehand and check if it offers a good drainage.

The last bit is really important, because roses don't like ''wet feet''!

Reaction score
Moving a rose an established rose bush is not quite as big a deal as many people make out - apart from the actual work its relatively simple, providing you follow a few guidelines.:)

The best time to move a rose bush is during its dormant period, which can vary a bit depending on the climate in which it is living but is normally considered to be between mid winter and early spring - in fact if you are not currently having frosts at the moment, now would be a very good time in which to do it.
If you haven't already, you will need to prune the stems back to around 6 - 8 inches from the ground - which if you haven't yet - could then be inserted in the ground as stem cuttings and used as extras or as a back up in case anything happens to the larger plant that you are moving.
It best to prepare your new site in advance - making sure that there is plenty of humus rich soil for it to go in to and that during the past 3 years, a rose wasn't previously growing on that site, but you might also, if you live in an area where you get a large amount of hot sun during the summer months, have to think about choosing a spot where the rose bush would receive some light afternoon shade.
Its also a good idea if the ground is dry to water the rose bush a few days prior to the move, in order to make sure that the soil doesn't come away from the roots too easily.
Other than that it is just a matter of digging up the rose bush with as much soil as possible, so as not to affect the roots and replanting it in its new home, then after a couple of weeks start to give it some fertilizer and wait for it to re-establish itself, which they do quite quickly :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Having thought further about this, I would seriously question the wisdom of moving this rose.
Roses are notorious for attracting and storing soil pathogens, and if this rose was itself a victim of replant disease, then, when you move it, not only will it still fail to flourish, but it would import the pathogens to its new home.
The pathogens are extremely likely to be there, with the rose being older than three years, so importing them is extremely likely anyway.

What I would do, in your position, would be to do what I can for this rose in its present position, but if you really want a rose in the planned new home, I'd buy a similar new one; far more chance of success, far less chance of immediately damaging another part of your garden.

Reaction score
I have a beautiful rose bush that only has one or two beautiful flowers per year and I think it is because the previous owner of the home planted them below trees and it does not get enough sunlight. I would like to move this bush. Is there anything in particular that I should to do move it? A certain time of the year such as spring or fall? Do you think it will fully recover after I move it?

We have been in our home for over 3 years so it is certainly older than that and looked to be a fully grown plant when we moved in. It only has two stems on it after all of this time. It is planted under several trees that hog all of the sunlight. I think that if we move it the bush will flourish.

Any tips or suggestions?

Fall is the best time for planting or replanting. You can move it successfully. Be sure to dig deep enough and get all the roots. It's easy to leave some roots behind.

Reaction score
Shellyann36 said - " It is planted under several trees that hog all of the sunlight. I think that if we move it the bush will flourish."

I too have been giving this some further thought - and wonder if the reason your rose bush may not be flourishing - is due to

lack of pruning - especially as proper pruning is vital in order to keep a rose bush healthy and flowering profusely - or -
lack of fertilizer - particularly as roses are extremely hungry plants and require a plentiful supply of both potash and potassium rich feed

The other option if you don't want to take the risk of moving the rose bush, is to perhaps considered removing some of the overhanging branches of the tree in order to give it more light.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I replanted a Rose Bush because my son in law kept cutting it down. I moved it behind a brick retainer so that it could not be cut down so easily. It has flourished well in the spot and has been there for more than 5 years. I just uprooted the ball and put it in the hole I had dug watered it very well for about a month to make sure the roots took hold, the transplant bloomed more than the mother plant.

Reaction score
Oh gosh lots of responses. I am really taking everything into consideration and wondering if I should bother moving the bush now. It might prove to be a disaster to move the bush. I was really just hoping to breath new life back into the bush because it seems to be drained of life where it is at. Now I will really have to put my thinking cap on and make a decision about it. Thank you to everyone who replied!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have moved roses several times. A rose that was at least fifty years old has been moved at least twice. As long as you water them in good after planting they have always thrived for me. This is a great time of year if you aren't having a hard frost, but I have had to move plants at less opportune times of year. Have been moving some perennials this week and I have a little tea rose you may have encouraged me to move also.

If you are concerned about the rose doing well and have a very large (25 gallon) planter dig it and let it live in a planter for a few seasons. With good potting soil the rose bush will think it is heaven. (I just potted up a small magnolia tree this way since I am making a new veggie bed in its old place and haven't decided where to put it) You can leave the pot in the current location since it sounds like it is shaded until it regrows its root structure. Usually a few seasons will do it. You may be horrified at how limited the roots will look when you dig the rose. Old roses' roots are just like sticks, few or no root hairs. In a pot you can wait to plant the rose at your leisure and it won't even slow down its growth when you have found the perfect place for it. Happy gardening with whatever you decide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mother in law transplanted one her mom had planted in Michigan and moved it to Kentucky. She was really careful with the small piece she was moving, and planted it as soon as she got here. Now its so big and so healthy the a fire couldn't even take it down.

Ask a Question