Most exotic plant?

Reaction score
What is the most exotic plant that you have ever managed to grow from seed? I received some tulip tree seeds and will be trying to grow one, germination may take up to 3 months!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen a tulip tree, it's very interesting. Please keep us posted, I hope it will grow beautifully:D
I've grown a very big lemon tree. Lemon trees don't grow in my climate zone so it's quite exotic for me and it makes me quite proud:D

Reaction score
I had grown some Texas bluebells from seeds last year. This is plant is foreign to my soil and even the nurseries here do not sell them. I couldn't grow them this season.. somehow none of the seeds have germinated so far.. :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I googled this tulip tree to see how does it look like and I must say I found it really beautiful. It's stunning. Here is the picture I found:

DSC01639.JPG

Reaction score
I've never grown a plant, indoor or outdoor from a seed. Given the fact that seeds take a while to germinate, (3 months for your tulip tree) and a few years to actually grow into anything larger than 1-2 feet, you're looking at 5-10 years before you will have anything worthwhile. It doesn't take that long for plants, but I'd rather just buy a small version of the plant or tree and proceed from there. That's just me.

Reaction score
I think the most exotic plant i've ever grown from seed is a Silk Floss Tree. I started it indoors around December of 2012, So far it is growing fast. It has a very exotic look and I was surprised that it grew so fast and sprouted indoors. I can't wait for it to start showing spikes. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_speciosa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I don't know if it's exotic, but the most unexpected thing I've grown from seed is a Clementine tree. The reason it was unexpected was because the box of fruit we bought said that the Clementines were seedless. In the entire box of fruit I only found one single seed which I planted, and it grew into a tree with two trunks. It was only years later that I read that citrus seeds can produce more than one tree.

Although that was over five years ago, my tree is still very small as I've kept it in a pot and trimmed it regularly in the hope of turning it into a bonsai one day.

Reaction score
I've grown exotic indoor plants from cuttings, not from seeds. The cuttings start out as 4-6 inch stems, placed in water, that take root. Once the roots are long enough, the cuttings are transferred to a pot. I have plants that are 8-10 years old that came from a cutting. One is about 6 feet long, a combination of 5 hanging plants and one Spineless Yucca placed in the center of the hanging plants. It has turned out to be a very exotic looking plant, but it's not from seeds, and it lives indoors.

Ask a Question