Mossy patch near tree

Reaction score
I have a mossy patch in my garden near to where my neighbors tree is. It is shaded for most of the day. I have tried trimming off everything on my side, and this does help the patch get more sunlight however it still does not get the same amount as the rest of the garden. Is there anything else I can do? or will I just have to endure this mossy patch near the shaded are of my garden.

Reaction score
Hedonoligst why don't you make the best of what you got and start a little fairy garden in the shade? You can add some stones and logs, plant tree ferns and dainty flowers like Impatiens in summer and Primulas in winter or you can even try some Clivias there. I have a lot of shade in my garden, almost half of it.

In the beginning it was quite a battle to find plants that works in the shade and between the roots of the trees, I ended up with mostly shallow rooted flowers and ferns. A few wild Rhubarb and on the less rooty spots some Arum lilies. This year I am planning to add a water feature as well. We have quite a lot of birds in our garden, and the water will bring even more.

Reaction score
Hi ,I started a fairy garden last year with my 3yr.old granddaughter, I'm currently trying to incorporate moss and sm. Flowering plant to accent the fairy homes and their sitting areas ,this year we've already added some new pieces and I've brought some different mosses to try in the garden ,I have 51/2 acres so have several garden areas ,but the joy I get seeing my grand baby's face when we work and play in fairy garden it's so worth that old adage try try again ! Lots of the big stores like Menard s, Walmart ,and more now sell lots of fairy things and many sites on line ! Babyred

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like Yatte's suggestion. If not a fairy garden, at least an interesting shade garden of some sort.
Do try to keep the moss in some spots. Mosses (Musci or Bryophyta), Liverworts (Hepaticae or Marchantiophyta), and other non-vascular plants are wonderful minute garden treasures that do best in spots they select for themselves.
In any case, don't try to maintain a lawn in such a shady spot. If the area must take foot traffic, the add stepping stones or pathway of some sort.

Ask a Question