Moss: what to do...

Would you allow moss to grow freely in your garden?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this topic. So, if it needs to be moved, please do so.

Ok, this is my problem. I've been getting an unusual amount of rain this year in my backyard. And there is a dip in the ground where water will collect and sit. That dip also gets a lot of shade. This was never a concern until I noticed recently that moss was beginning to grow there.

I don't know if I should let the moss continue to grow. Or should I get rid of it? Most importantly, will it affect my mango tree? It looks great in movies and pictures, but I don't know what it'll really be like, especially in a small backyard.

My other question is: what are the different green and/or organic ways to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Reaction score
I love moss and let it grow freely. In fact, I love it so much I've thought about planting it in certain areas. I think it's beautiful and soft and so lush looking!

I have no idea if it would affect your mango tree. It might affect PH and it will probably drink some of it's water, but then again, it probably would act like mulch or leaves does and keep the soil moist for longer.

Reaction score
I love moss and let it grow freely. In fact, I love it so much I've thought about planting it in certain areas. I think it's beautiful and soft and so lush looking!

I have no idea if it would affect your mango tree. It might affect PH and it will probably drink some of it's water, but then again, it probably would act like mulch or leaves does and keep the soil moist for longer.

Hi Kate!!! Thanks for replying. I'm glad to hear it didn't cause you any problems. I was afraid it'd be like some invasive vines that look great but quickly get out of control.

I've been looking at my moss and it's giving my backyard an old, whimsical look. I'm starting to really like it. And now I'll get to look at it with a kinder mind. hahaha :D

Jed

Reaction score
Moss is an indicator of poor soil or poor drainage. Lime will correct the pH or you need to do some draining.
I don't have a problem with it probably because I have large block to play around in.:)

Tam

Reaction score
In my vegetable garden I don't want any moss growing I like to have a weed free space and seeing the vegetables growing.

In my flower garden I would allow moss to grow it is a nice ground cover and easy to get rid of it I want it gone.

Reaction score
Moss can look pretty. I love moss. I have had sticks left in water and shade to have moss growing on them in my fathers garden and used them to support flowering vines. This was when I had so much space. Now, I hardly have anything more than 3x5 feet balconies for garden. I really don't think moss does any harm to mangoes or for that matter any fruit tree. We had them growing around our mango , guava and jackfruit trees. They trees were always laden with fruits in season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I voted for yes because I love moss. It's so mysterious - and romantic. When you look really close, it looks like a miniature forest, I find it fascinating. I'd love to have more of it in my garden.
I just found this beautiful picture:

mchy.jpg

Reaction score
I have this one ceramic statue, with a rough surface and no glazing. I would like to make it look aged by having moss grow on it. Is it possible to just "plant" it on objects? Or do I need to toss it to the ground and wait for years for it to form on the statue? :)

Reaction score
I have this one ceramic statue, with a rough surface and no glazing. I would like to make it look aged by having moss grow on it. Is it possible to just "plant" it on objects? Or do I need to toss it to the ground and wait for years for it to form on the statue? :)

You can paint it on your statue and then let it grow. From what I understand, you mix moss, water, and buttermilk together in a blender. And then take a paintbrush and paint the mixture on the parts you want moss to grow on. But this method takes a few weeks. So, if anyone has a quicker method, please share.

If you don't have moss growing in your yard, you can buy it from a store.

Reaction score
I voted for yes because I love moss. It's so mysterious - and romantic. When you look really close, it looks like a miniature forest, I find it fascinating. I'd love to have more of it in my garden.
I just found this beautiful picture:

mchy.jpg

This is a really beautiful picture, Claudine! I've never seen a close-up picture before. They are always far away. The moss here looks so furry. Cool!

I've read that people used to put fresh moss on their wounds. It's supposed to have healing properties. Although I do wonder if all moss have the same properties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been seeing a lot more moss recently in my yard, wild fern also. I don't mind the moss in certain areas, but it's gotten into one of my container plants. I've been procrastinating about repotting it, but now seeing Jed's comment I guess I had better get to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've been seeing a lot more moss recently in my yard, wild fern also. I don't mind the moss in certain areas, but it's gotten into one of my container plants. I've been procrastinating about repotting it, but now seeing Jed's comment I guess I had better get to it.
Moss grows in my roses flowerpots too. Do you think it can harm them? I like how it looks - so romantic - but I like my roses more so I'm concerned:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You have moss growing in the pots with your roses indoors? I wouldn't have thought that were possible. I don't know if it will harm them, moss seems to be pretty benign, but you definitely don't want your roses to suffer for a lack of light or poor drainage. Might be a good idea to do some research.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, it grows indoors in the flowerpots. I've been doing some research but I can't find answers anywhere. Anyway, it's been a few months since I noticed it and my roses seem to be fine so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, I have been thinking of collecting the moss I see outside and using it for a terrarium; I just need my charcoal, container, and other supplies :)

Here is an interesting article I found on moss that might be helpful to you:
http://watoxics.org/files/moss.pdf

Ask a Question