JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was at my moms house and collected seeds from her Moss Rose plants. I have no experience with them and was wondering if you guys have any input. Can I grow them now or wait until next Spring? Do they need a cold period to break dormancy?

Reaction score
No - Portulaca seeds are quite the opposite as they need light and warmth rather than cold in order to germinate and generally germinate best when temperatures are around 20 C - 25 C.

As Portulaca seeds are generally sown outdoors in early to late spring just after the time of the last frost - it will very much depend on what sort of climate you have and how long your summers are - as to whether it would be worth sowing your Portulaca seeds now - as although I've often had success sowing seeds this late in the season which because we have long hot summers has resulted in a good display - it may not so where you are.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! So storing them should be easy then, correct? Just keep them in a dark place?

You are welcome and yes storing your portulaca should be fine - so long as you store the seeds in a cool dry relatively dark place - where the temperature remains fairly constant - with the optimum temperature being around 2-16 C or 35 -60 F and preferably in something other than a plastic bag - if its any help - I store mine in greaseproof paper inserted into a brown envelope.

Reaction score
My mom always grew moss rose in her gardens as a border since they are so low growing. We always had a few pop up in the spring from seeds that previous years plants produced. We lived in San Antonio, TX where it was very hot and dry and they always did well. I grow them now and I am North Alabama where the summers are hot and steamy and they do well. it is so nice to go out and see the lovely little flowers in so many different colors brightening up the world. OH,, and most bugs do not care for them.

Reaction score
I love rose moss. I have collected seeds from mine for years and used them the next year. I have some seeds now that I could plant. Since you got the subject started I might just plant them in a hanging basket on the porch. They are one of my Mama's favorite plants in the summer and they are so easy to grow as well as harvest seeds from for the next year.

Ask a Question