Moss in lawn

A

arbuthnot

Weve had so much rain that our front lawn is now mostly spongy, green moss. Lovely to walk on but that's the best I can say. Apart from digging it all up and returfing (we're very old!) is there an easier solution? The back lawn is gradually going the same way despite having been treated last year.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Weve had so much rain that our front lawn is now mostly spongy, green moss. Lovely to walk on but that's the best I can say. Apart from digging it all up and returfing (we're very old!) is there an easier solution? The back lawn is gradually going the same way despite having been treated last year.
We have a lot of moss in ours, we don't bother doing anything, but as you say it's soggy at the moment and that's probably the problem, unless you spend a lot of time on it, it will be the same.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Guess it depends on how much work or expense you want to entail. I have repeatedly gone with the moss. It’s easier and the grass doesn’t need mowing as much. This year I think I may add some snow drop bulbs to the mix, but I am a rather chaotic gardener.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I typically use Ironite, but last summer I noticed that the price had gone up, so I tried a new product called Moss Out which's 32% Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate 20lb bag for $17 (vs Ironite's 15lbs for $18) at HomeDepot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have so much shade there are places where grass simply will not grow. It took a while, but I stopped fighting moss. Then something else changed in my mind and I bought a cheap blender. No- not for margaritas - but for moss. Now I am headed toward enhancing it in the areas it likes, with stone, shapes and watering shapes for the animals in a moss garden sort of way. Its easy to get rid of in our sunny areas, it struggles out there.

A

arbuthnot

Thank you for the replies. I think we’ve decided to go along with the moss as we share a front lawn so unless our neighbour is prepared to help (unlikely) we won’t bother. Besides it’s lovely to walk on!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also have moss in the garden, and I decided to decorate my lawn. It looks better now.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Saw an offer at Screwfix for an electric scarifyer at £60. It comes with two bars, one for scarifying one for raking and I spent the afternoon with the rake one on going over the lawn. I took out a bit over four tightly packed large compost bags of moss. There is still more there, but I will let it have a little recover then give it a treatment with lawn sand, leave it a couple of weeks to kill the rest of the moss and then run over it again and take out the dead stuff. I turn the bags inside out so they are black on the outside and stack them where they get the sun, I did about three last year with a wire hand rake, so this is a huge improvement. It is a bit tedious, it is not a very wide treatment bar and a tiny collector, but I had thought I was going to have to convert to a Japanese garden :)

Ask a Question