Moss garden as art

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I am not advocating graffiti by any stretch of the imagination, but if this were done with permission (or by choice) it could be a really creative way to use a plant most people take for granted in a new way.

475306_390527807624795_213775278633383_1587321_228945955_o.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hate 'normal' graffiti with all my heart but I love this one made of moss!:D It looks so pretty, soft, and natural. I wish we had it in my city! Who knows, maybe I should plant some. I'm tempted to try:p . ChanellG, thank you for sharing this!:D

Reaction score
This is the coolest thing ever. So unique and inspiring, it opens up endless possibilities. You could put this on a fence, wall or paint pretty pictures on large rocks and place them all over the garden. I'm going to do this next spring in my new yard, but first I have to write down that strange recipe and put it in a safe place.

Reaction score
Green art is better than graffiti... I agree ... and moss certainly looks good when it done aesthetically on a wall.
However, on the flip side I know it could harm the walls.. moss helps retain water and over a period of time could lead to deterioration of walls. If you would like to decorate with this form of art you may have to consider this fact. Alternately, you could try it for a while and kill it off before it does some heavy damage to your walls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Good point Maddie! The best thing would be to create a new "wall' for the moss, or perhaps only make the moss art on stone or brick walls which should have been sealed for moisture. Perhaps Masonite would serve as a good canvas for moss art?

I agree Claudine, most graffiti is just vandalism.

Reaction score
I'm guessing this could also work if you wanted moss to grow in a big or not so big surface? Like for example a planter, a tree... a wall, etc. Thanks a lot for the idea! I'm soooooo going to save this for later, just in case I really need it! Just amazing!

Reaction score
That's just awesome!!!!! We got a lot of Moss around it it grows like a weed, but it has never croseed my mind to do something like this with it.. A bit later in the year when it's cooler I'm going to give this a try, I will be sure to take some pictures to post back here.
I have one side of our house this would like just awesome on.

Reaction score
Oh that is so cool! I never knew that moss could be used that way. I wonder how hard it is to keep it from spreading and taking over the area?
@maddie good to think it through before doing it.... I did not think about the retaining water part. Glad you brought it up.

Reaction score
That's really cool! I remember seeing this before. I think this should only be done on permanently abandoned buildings if it's not your own for the above stated reasons. It's so much prettier than spray paint for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm fascinated with this idea. Moss graffiti looks really pretty and it's such a perfect way to make buildings in our cities look more natural. I found a few lovely pictures, I'm sure you'll like them too:

Moss-Graffiti-Moss-Natur.jpg

Grass-Graffiti-NYC_2.jpg

webdsc_2429.jpg

heart-shaped-moss-graffiti-e1366037163555.jpg

It's inspiring, isn't it?:love:

Reaction score
I think the deer and the hearts are really cool. I read on Pinterest that you can make the moss "paint" by blending moss with some liquids in the blender and the moss will grow where you paint it on.

Reaction score
That's it...the word "grow" in moss had me...by the end of the pictures I am already trying to figure where I can "moss out" my expressions. That is as many said the "coolest" thing I have seen in a long while.

I wonder if this is unusual or what...I am surprised so many of us had not heard of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure that moss graffiti is a new trend. It's quite popular in some areas, as you can see in the pictures in my previous post, but many people still haven't heard of it. Unfortunately, I've never seen this kind of art in my city:( Most buildings here would look much prettier if somebody decided to plant moss on them!

Reaction score
This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I am not advocating graffiti by any stretch of the imagination, but if this were done with permission (or by choice) it could be a really creative way to use a plant most people take for granted in a new way.

475306_390527807624795_213775278633383_1587321_228945955_o.jpg

Wow, you have a pretty creative idea, a moss garden sounds like a great way to use one's talents to develop a garden.

Ask a Question