Moss cover or grass cover for small garden?

what would you like a carpet grass garden (Lawn grass) or a moss covered garden?

• grass

• moss

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary thank you for the suggestion of Portulaca. It is everywhere here, it will grow in gravel. In Spanish it is Verdolaga which i think is Purslane and it is very pretty but not what i am looking for. I want something much more low growing that can be walked on. I have found Dichondra voluntarily setting up a patch in the garden and i am cultivating it, singing it little songs, and telling stories, and giving it water, and love pats. Here is a photo. I believe it will be perennial here.
P1020514.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Ok, I googled "portulaca perennial or annual" and it appears the web does not know. :confused: :(
I think this is because it is an "annual" in some climates, and "perennial" in other climates. Many of the flowers you grow in your area as annuals are perennials here.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
...i am cultivating it, singing it little songs, and telling stories, and giving it water, and love pats
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: Give it my best wishes, as well. (y) (Pretty little thing, isn't it?)

In Spanish it is Verdolaga which i think is Purslane..
Purslane and portulaca are both species in the Portulacaceae genus. The one I was thinking of is Portulaca grandiflora, which is also known as rose moss. Purslane is Portulaca oleracea, which is also known as pigweed. (Funny how we give nice names to the ones we consider "flowers" and nasty names to the ones we consider "weeds." o_O )

Either way, I didn't know the goal was a ground cover to be walked on. :oops: :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I have allowed Cynodon dactylon [Bermuda grass] to spread in the front yard. It dries up in summer but will remain green in the rest of the months. When it overgrows, I chop and feed the stray cows with the clippings which they enjoy. There is the Oxalis also growing in pots and wherever they want! Here is a photo of the front yard - DW heading my way in this. Some rains [deficient this past season] had made my natural lawn green. It is said that walking on this grass barefoot is good esp. when there is dew on the blades.
P1050244.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I sow grass seed in a pot, they are growing healthy but with some white spot on it.The guy from whom I bought the grass didn't mention type of grass seed though. They have grown to height of 4-5 inch now. :D
Do long grass attract snakes?(n) As mentioned earlier it was a dumping ground, it had 2-3 big holes, which I flooded with water and filled it (may be rodent hole not sure).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Give it my best wishes, as well. (y) (Pretty little thing, isn't it?)
@MaryMary It is adorable and i will give it your salutations along with a love pat or two.
Also, you probably didn't know what kind of ground cover i was looking for because i probably didn't say. But i don't think i could bring myself to step on such pretty flowers as Portulaca, although i will search the grandiflora just to take a look for future reference:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
@Rajesh Sethi This grass does not attarct snakes. Well, if snakes are in that area, then you may spot one in summer. Those holes -burrows - are surely rodent holes - big rats that like to burrow and live in there. These are ones that damaged my pond liner from the ground and opened up on the side of the pond. From here the water leaks out. Grass comes in several types. They also have different types of blooms. I keep only this variety and remove the other types that grow here and there. There is another type with wide blades and another type will form a clump at the root and hard to pull out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Found a small patch in the pot. I had removed the one on the basil pot 2 weeks ago and kept in another pot - this was before this thread was started - and this patch is still alive. This image:

P1500949.JPG

See here, it grows like this. I don't disturb the soil in this often. I don't re-pot once a year, but probably two.

P1500952.JPG

This is the close-up shot of the moss that grows in one or two pots [as volunteers]. When it grows well it is like velvet.

P1500963.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Dinu, Nice Pic, Moss are really slow to grow,

333333333 - Copy.jpg

Acrocarpous moss with open capsule
P1500949.JPG Dinu, Is that weed in the moss(1st pic)?
Tough to remove this kind as you touch them it will shed hundreds of seeds, tends to grow near water and on moss beds.

Does any one knows what are they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
That single plant in first pic is another 'weed'.

Ask a Question