Morning glories--love 'em or hate 'em?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I think they are simply amazing. I just planted one from seed about a month ago and it is climbing all over the deck trying to get a hold of anything it can to latch on.
I can not wait for it to flower. A friend gave it to me so I have no idea what color the flowers will be. I like things that climb like the Morning Glory as long as I have
time to control where it goes. Already I have had to make sure it does not choke a nearby plant but overall, they are easy to grow and I am really enjoying this plant. I marvel every day about where it has reached out to. It has a mind of its own.

Reaction score
I think if you have a trellis or other place for the morning glory to vine then it would be a nice quick growing greenery and flowers to cover it.

Reaction score
I think they are beautiful, but only if they are well contained. Morning glories have a tendency to go all over the place and take over like a weed. I have seen them grow inches in a day and they have the ability to wind themselves around anything they can get to, so this can be a real problem if it gets out of hand.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't really know what brand of special I was as a kid, but I used to pick morning glory flowers and get them to stick to my nose. We had an overabundance of them growing on the fence. They were pink. I don't know why/how I'm remembering all of this. Humans are weird.

I'd love to grow some at my house now, though. About how quickly do they spread? The walls outside are ugly and it couldn't hurt to add an "annoying" plant, because those are usually pretty easy. lol :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Really, people hate them? In my opinion they are absolutely beautiful. I also had no idea that they were poisonous to some household pets, which is very unfortunate as I plan on having some in the near future!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I like Morning Glorys. I have never heard of them being called 'weeds.' I hear a lot of complaints about how they take over in gardens and such. These would be a good idea for an area in my backyard that I've been pondering over. Good post.

Reaction score
I love morning glories because they are such beautiful flowers and look great in front of a house or near a garden. I knew some people in the past who had morning glories.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like them, we had them in the yard when I was a kid, easy to grow and care for. We had them in the front of the house next to porch and steps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Morning Glories are prolific re-seeders. At the end of the growing season birds will spread these seeds far and wide. We planted a few along our front pouch railing fourteen years ago, and have never had to replant them again. They just keep coming back from re-seeding themselves every year since. What I do to keep the re-seeding to a minimum is pull the plants before they die back. Once the seeds turn a dark brown, almost black it is next to impossible to pull them without getting seeds everywhere. They have a hard shell and just love to sit patiently waiting for the opportune time to take over the world!
A better choice would be 'The Cardinal Climber vine'. They are in the morning glory family, but don't re-seed so readily, and the humming birds just love them. Don't confuse this with the Cypess vine which is very invasive in warmer climates, and most likely banned in those states. Link to Cardinal Climber vine pics. below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...v&sa=X&ei=LGnXVIWnEIi_ggT1lIOwCA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's so funny you bring this up. My husband absolutely hates them, while I think they are really pretty and in the right circumstance, have a place in the garden.

We moved to a house one time that had a very small flower garden, and the previous owners had planted morning glories and they had taken over the small patch. No matter how much we pulled them up, they kept coming back. We finally had to take up the "good" plants, and then till the area - removing all the plant material, roots and seeds we could find. That helped considerably, but there were still a few coming up. My husband diligently pulled up every little morning glory that came up, before it could bloom. It took two years, but we finally got rid of them.

Me, on the other hand, love to see a hedgerow full of morning glories and sweet peas. The really are a pretty plant with a pretty flower. In a small garden - no, but out in the "wild", growing up a fence or in a ditch - YES!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I personally think they're pretty but I can see other people's dislike of them since they like to spread so much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I personally think they're pretty but I can see other people's dislike of them since they like to spread so much.
It's definitely a love, hate relationship. As a matter of fact a friend of mine just sent me some seeds for a royal blue type, that I will love to hate also. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love the deep blue of some of the varieties. Wish I had space to grow them @_@;

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think morning glory are beautiful flowers, but I don't prefer to have them in my yard. They are too invasive and taken over everything. I used to have them, but after my yard looks like a mess of a jungle, I took them out.

Ask a Question