Morning glories--love 'em or hate 'em?

Reaction score
Everybody I talk to absolutely hates them--several of my friends/family members even refer to them as weeds! So, I was just wondering how you all feel about morning glories. If you don't know where to plant them, they can be a pain. But regardless, I think they're lovely little beauties. I love getting up early in the summertime and going to gawk at them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love morning glories, in my opinion they're absolutely gorgeous:) I love all climbing plants, I'd like to grow as many of them, as possible.
Morning glories look especially beautiful when they climb on houses, here is an example:

morning-glory-m-x.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love them, but they have to be in the front yard. They are poisonous to dogs and cats so I cant have them in the back which is where I spend most of my time. I will have some growing on the front porch this year so I can enjoy them on my way to and from work every day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love them, but they have to be in the front yard. They are poisonous to dogs and cats so I cant have them in the back which is where I spend most of my time. I will have some growing on the front porch this year so I can enjoy them on my way to and from work every day
Are all morning glory varieties poisonous to dogs? I had no idea about it! I have a plant in my garden that looks like a small morning glory, its flowers are pale purple. If it can be dangerous for my little Yorkie, I'll get rid of it:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this link! I guess I'll have to get rid of my lovely plant:( I prefer not to take any risk. My dog usually ignores all the plants in our garden, but he can be quite unpredictable sometimes:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, no. It climbs on a fence and I think that it would look pretty weird if I tried to fence off my fence, lol:LOL:. My dog loves looking at the street and barking at people who are passing by, so it would make him unhappy if he didn't have any access to our front yard.

Reaction score
I think there very pretty! I think they just need to be grown in the right spot. Like the picture up there they look like they're suppose to be lining the house. If you grow them just anywhere, they look sloppy and out of place.

Reaction score
I love morning glories. They come in so many beautiful colors. I like to plant all different colors together so that when they bloom they resemble a beautiful bouquet. I am also partial to moon flowers, a relative of the morning glory. It just blooms at night instead of in the morning. The blooms just seem to glow in the dark.

Reaction score
I love them, they are easy to grow and that's why sometimes they're are referred as weeds... they seriously seem to pop out of everywhere!!!! I have no idea how our garden was full of them!!! I guess the wind did that! Whatever it was I'm glad about that, we have had the pink, the blue and the purple ones so far :) I'll definitely grow them in the future.... this time on purpose ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds wonderful!:D:love: I would love to have a garden full of morning glories, I would let them climb on all other plants and trees.
I don't care if some people call them weeds. To me, they're one of the prettiest flowers in the whole world.

Reaction score
My mom always called them weeds when I was growing up. But that was also as she was pulling them out of the vegetable garden where they were trying to choke out the other plants. I think it may depend on where you live. If they grow wild everywhere than you may be more likely to call them a weed. I was surprised the first time I saw a place selling seeds for them.

Reaction score
I live in a climate where morning glories are true annuals, killed by the deep freezing temperatures we have every winter. So, that said- I love them! I like the faster growing kinds, like moonflowers. I know that a lot of people live in areas where morning glories persist and seed and take over. We do have a very small little weed here similar to morning glories, commonly known as bindweed. It sprouts up everywhere but it's so tiny and easy to pull generally that it's a weed that I know I don't pay much mind to. I think I've seen a bloom on it once or something like that too, sort of morning glory-ish.

Growing up out west in the Seattle area, I fondly remember white morning glories everywhere, much like black raspberries. They were weedy I think for most people but the white morning glories and black berries are two things I remember vividly about my childhood out west.

I'm loving clematis as a perennial alternative to the morning glory too. Sweet Summer Love is a really pretty one, with the deep pink blooms. And of course it's well-behaved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I don't like vines that much. I have seen morning glories in commercial places though, and I think that they are beautiful. In my opinion, climbers are very difficult to maintain. I don't have enough time to trim them regularly! :p

Ask a Question