Morning glories anyone?

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my morning glories :) I was a bit upset that for some reason the photos I took didn't reflect the real colour of my morning glories, I think it was the sunlight's fault :p My morning glories are of a stronger and deeper purple color, they might not look like that in the picture, but believe me they are! :D

298268_171666456241742_1090073_n.jpg

Jed

Reaction score
When I was a kid that variety grew rampant on our picket fence. We would pick the flowers and put them on our fingers. Such fun when you a kid. I think some varieties the seed can be hallucinogenic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love the picture, your morning glories are more than beautiful!:D I adore the combination of white and purple, it looks gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this!:D

Reaction score
Oh! Every morning I think I should take a picture of my morning glories and post it! I have them in only one place this year (oddly, though they seem to be very invasive and "impossible" to get rid of once you plant them, they didn't grow up in one of the spots we've had them for years.) I even remembered to get the strings up the pole in time this year for them to climb it and make a lovely 6 foot cluster of plants. Each morning, it seems, there are more blossoming. They are a bright shade of purple...rather mid-range, I'd say...and they are a most wonderful "good morning" to me each day. As I have them planted near the road I hope that many others are also taking pleasure from them as they drive by!

Thanks for sharing, Trellum!!!

Reaction score
When I was a kid that variety grew rampant on our picket fence. We would pick the flowers and put them on our fingers. Such fun when you a kid. I think some varieties the seed can be hallucinogenic.

It's funny you mention that, because I used to do the same when I was a child :) I used to cut a lot of those flowers... the most common color over there back then was the purple one. We also had a pink variety, but it wasn't as common :) I love how easily morning flowers propagate... they have probably been the only plants I've been able to grow from a seed.

Reaction score
I love the picture, your morning glories are more than beautiful!:D I adore the combination of white and purple, it looks gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this!:D

Thanks, you're very kind, Claudine :) I like to take beautiful pictures of flowers as often as possible, but I'm still saving for a new and better camera, so I can finally snap some shots of my miniature roses ;)

Reaction score
Oh! Every morning I think I should take a picture of my morning glories and post it! I have them in only one place this year (oddly, though they seem to be very invasive and "impossible" to get rid of once you plant them, they didn't grow up in one of the spots we've had them for years.) I even remembered to get the strings up the pole in time this year for them to climb it and make a lovely 6 foot cluster of plants. Each morning, it seems, there are more blossoming. They are a bright shade of purple...rather mid-range, I'd say...and they are a most wonderful "good morning" to me each day. As I have them planted near the road I hope that many others are also taking pleasure from them as they drive by!

Thanks for sharing, Trellum!!!

You're very welcome! It sounds like you're already living my morning glory dream, lol! I've always wanted to do something like that... have morning glories outside my house, so everyone can see them and say something like: ''Wow, look at that!'' I'd love to try with different varieties of morning glories, I've heard purple and pink are not the only colours out there. I'd love to get some seeds of the blue variety :) I'd like to grow some blue, purple and white morning glories and that way make a multicolored 6 foot cluster of plants :)

Reaction score
You're very welcome! It sounds like you're already living my morning glory dream, lol! I've always wanted to do something like that... have morning glories outside my house, so everyone can see them and say something like: ''Wow, look at that!'' I'd love to try with different varieties of morning glories, I've heard purple and pink are not the only colours out there. I'd love to get some seeds of the blue variety :) I'd like to grow some blue, purple and white morning glories and that way make a multicolored 6 foot cluster of plants :)

That sounds so pretty! I have just the purple ones but my Mom's favorite is one called (I believe) "Heavenly Blue". The flowers are about twice the size of these that I have. Her dad used to plant them when she was a girl and had them growing up all along their back porch, pretty high from what I'm told. I know that mine would climb much higher if I could just fashion a taller pole to string. As it is they get to the top of this pole and keep going, then droop over. I'm not sure if I lack time or enthusiasm (most likely it's that I lack having the two things at the same time.) but I think it would be so lovely to have a dynamic display like the one you've in mind!!! Still, I'm pleased with what I managed this year, and at the results! Good luck!!

Reaction score
Thanks, it's a nice idea :) I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that tho, but I'm really hoping so!

That sounds wonderful! I bet these are the morning glories you're talking about:

Blue-Morning-Glory-flowers-30352544-570-497.jpg

Those morning glories are really special :) I'd like to get some of those... I've probabily seen them only once in my life!

Reaction score
Ah the picture doesn't load for me! :( I have actually purchased packages of the heavenly blue...and never planted them. :oops:

Reaction score
Aw, actually the picture is not loading for me either anymore :( The link must be broken, the image must have been removed or there is some sort of problem with the forum. Here is another great shot for you:

morning-glory-on-fence.jpg

Those are really divine :) I hope you go for it one day! Morning glories are the only plants I have been able to grow from a seed!

Reaction score
Aw, actually the picture is not loading for me either anymore :( The link must be broken, the image must have been removed or there is some sort of problem with the forum. Here is another great shot for you:

morning-glory-on-fence.jpg

Those are really divine :) I hope you go for it one day! Morning glories are the only plants I have been able to grow from a seed!

Those are beautiful, Trellum! The blue and green against this white fence look wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to retrieve the photo. And yes, they look like the ones my Mom used to have. She must have planted some on our property at some point, because I'm pretty sure I don't remember the ones from her childhood home...my Grandpa was pretty old by the time I came along, and I'm not sure he was still planting them.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful, Trellum! The blue and green against this white fence look wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to retrieve the photo. And yes, they look like the ones my Mom used to have. She must have planted some on our property at some point, because I'm pretty sure I don't remember the ones from her childhood home...my Grandpa was pretty old by the time I came along, and I'm not sure he was still planting them.

You're very welcome :) That's actually my dream morning glory project ;) I'd love to have something like that in my garden in the future, again... once I move out :D Your mom must have really liked gardening! I wish mine did, her house would love amazing with a couple of morning glories here and there! I'd do that for her, but I don't think she'd even bother to water them, lol!

Reaction score
You're very welcome :) That's actually my dream morning glory project ;) I'd love to have something like that in my garden in the future, again... once I move out :D Your mom must have really liked gardening! I wish mine did, her house would love amazing with a couple of morning glories here and there! I'd do that for her, but I don't think she'd even bother to water them, lol!

I think my Mom was worn out on gardening from the vegetable garden my Dad insisted we have. She spent a LOT of time working in that (I still remember her canning tomatoes, corn and PILES of green beans.) It helped a lot to feed our large family (I have 8 siblings) and I'm not putting down vegetable gardening, but I'm sure if my Mom had a choice she'd have liked to spend more time cultivating pretty things like this and enjoying them!

Reaction score
I think my Mom was worn out on gardening from the vegetable garden my Dad insisted we have. She spent a LOT of time working in that (I still remember her canning tomatoes, corn and PILES of green beans.) It helped a lot to feed our large family (I have 8 siblings) and I'm not putting down vegetable gardening, but I'm sure if my Mom had a choice she'd have liked to spend more time cultivating pretty things like this and enjoying them!

WOW! Thanks for the idea :) You actually gave me a great idea :p I'm not a big fan of vegetable gardens, but I think having one in the future could help me to keep my mind totally busy! As for your mom and dad, it's REALLY funny you mention this, because it seems it's the men who seem to be really into vegetable growing! Us, the women, seem to be after growing things that are not necessarily practical, but in exchange are extremely beautiful!

Ask a Question