Moringa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The moringa is a small tree which leaves and fruit are considered vegetables. The leaves serve garnishing for mung beans and some other dishes. As what so many doctors had said, the leaves of moringa has lots of vitamins. The fruit is also a good ingredient for a soup dish. We usually have moringa dishes during the summer when the trees are fruiting. But for the leaves, we can have it anytime. An added bonus is that the moringa trees can also be used as garden decorative plant (or tree).

Here is the picture of the moringa trees in front of our house, there are 3 of them....
IMG_1092 malunggay.JPG

Reaction score
We have a moringa tree planted in our frontyard.and it has grown to be a bigger tree than the ones shown in this picture. Yeah, we always use the leaves for chicken strews and other soupy dishes. Its leaves are nutritious and rich in iron, calcium, vitamin c, vitamin a, and other vitamins. We also make teas out of the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Moringa has become very popular in my country just like its predecessor the neem tree. Its currently a health fad that should not fade away due to the fact that moringa has scientifically been assayed to contain excellent nutritional value. I have seen moringa products being marketed as supplements and they are quite pricey. Therefore its prudent for one to grow the plants as its quite good for preventive medicine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Corzhens:

I grew several Horse Radish Trees (Moringa oleracea) from seed this summer. The saplings are still quite small. I intend to keep them in containers and protect them from our cool, wet Winter weather. I'm mostly interested in growing them as ornamental plants, so I haven't tried eating them yet, but I may sample a bite when they are larger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't like the taste, it's basically like eating horseradish flavored grass. However, I do throw the leaves in most everything I eat, luckily I don't get the taste like when you eat the leaves on their own; I have been thinking about cooking the seeds, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have about 11 trees now, two of them were cuttings, but I'd prefer growing from seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi roadrunner:

Interesting. It sounds like Moringa might work well as a seasoning, adding just enough to get a bit of its spicy heat.

Ask a Question