Moringa tree

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi! I am new here...just wondering if anyone can identify these clear tiny globules on my moringa..is this normal? the leaves doesn't last long...they go dry and yellow and just falls off... Help!

Attachments

• 20210926_140028.jpg
    20210926_140028.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 37
  • received_2917169535199822.jpeg
    received_2917169535199822.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the Forum

Moringa spp. produces structures called extra-floral nectaries in the leaflet axes of their compound leaves. These nectaries produce a sugary exudate, which in the wild, serves as a reward in a mutualistic symbiosis with certain species of ants that guard the trees against herbivorous insects.

Moringa is an wonderful plant. I'm currently growing dwarf Moringa oleifera that I started from seed. In the past, I've also grown Moringa stenopetala. I went out just now to examine my Moringa. I didn't seed any droplets on the leaves but I did enjoy its unique odor. It smells like an oddly pungent type of peanut butter. I mostly grow it for it's beauty and botanical interest, but I should start eating the leaves more often, perhaps use them as a spice or garnish.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello and welcome to the Forum

Moringa spp. produces structures called extra-floral nectaries in the leaflet axes of their compound leaves. These nectaries produce a sugary exudate, which in the wild, serves as a reward in a mutualistic symbiosis with certain species of ants that guard the trees against herbivorous insects.

Moringa is an wonderful plant. I'm currently growing dwarf Moringa oleifera that I started from seed. In the past, I've also grown Moringa stenopetala. I went out just now to examine my Moringa. I didn't seed any droplets on the leaves but I did enjoy its unique odor. It smells like an oddly pungent type of peanut butter. I mostly grow it for it's beauty and botanical interest, but I should start eating the leaves more often, perhaps use them as a spice or garnish.
Cool..thanks Marck.. I will leave those then..

Ask a Question