monstera leaves have brown spots with yellow halo!

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi everyone! this is my first post so hello!

i recently bought a monstera 2 weeks ago and it’s now developing small brown spots with a yellow halo. i’ve read a bunch of articles but i’m still unsure if it’s due to fungus, bacterial infection, sunburn or overwatering. i’ve only watered it once since getting it and plan to repot it since i see roots at the drainage hole (not growing through it but blocks it almost). i’m a new plant mom n so far i’ve only kept my peace lily alive :( i love the monsters so much and don’t want it to die! anyways thank you so much in advance!

i have NW facing windows so i currently have it right in front of my window, and use an led grow light at night for about 12 hours. i’m about to buy an air humidifier but i have been misting it every other day, and put it in the bathroom after i shower twice a week.

1. what could the brown spots come from?
2. should i cut off the damaged leaves? if so, where should i cut it?
3. should i separate the plants in case one or two are infected?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Country
United States
my bad, i forgot to mention that there are three new leaves with one currently unfurling! i’m not sure what to do since some leaves aren’t doing so well with the brown spots, some newer leaves that unfurled prior to purchasing now have a brown edge, yet the new growth seems alright. please help!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!! I’m by no means an expert but I’m literally going through the eerily exact same thing right now, down to the three new leaves unfurling and peace lily bit. I can’t give any advice unfortunately because I’m just as stumped but I’m wondering if it got any better for you?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of those leaf blemishes look like oedema (or edema). Plant oedema is a physiological condition that occurs when water is drawn into a plant's cells faster than it can exit. The excessive turgor pressure causes the cells to burst. Oedema is not serious unless it occurs very frequently or on a massive scale. It often occurs incidentally for reasons that are not easy to diagnose. A sudden change in light, temperature, or humidity can sometimes cause edema. I've noticed that Monstera deliciosa appears to be somewhat prone to this condition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
My suggestion is to repot it. Mine did this and when I pulled out the monstera from the nursery pot it was completely root bound with barely any soil. I have had to repot the monstera about 3x since I bought it a year and half ago. It keeps growing like crazy. Improper watering will do this too. Since I have repotted it so many times, I didnt have this anymore.. recently I have noticed this start again but i have been
not been consistent with watering.. The other thing that you may want to do once in a while with monstera is wipe down the leaves from dust. You can use neem oil to help with that and its a nice prevention against bugs and mildew etc. Stay away from leaf shiners for monstera.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a comprehensive care guide hope will enjoy it and it be helpful.

Cheese Plant (Monstera Deliciosa) Indoor Care Guide​

Swiss Cheese Plant (Monstera deliciosa) is an epiphytic tropical vine with large, distinctive leaves. The leaves are green and heart-shaped, with deep furrows running along their length. The plant produces edible fruits that smell like a combination of pineapples and bananas. Although the vines can climb as high as 20 feet, 8 to 12 feet is their limit when grown indoors. It is native to regions of Mexico and Panama.

Ask a Question