Monstera - Is it dying please help..

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, I’ve had this Monstera since January this year and it seems to be slowly dying. When I bought it, it was a lovely healthy plant with the stems and leaves glossy and proud, but now every day it is drooping, and each of the leaves are yellowing. I’ve tried watering less, move it to different positions with more light but I am at my wits end. Please advice me on how to heal this plant and get it to thrive? I don’t want to have to throw it out :(

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I had this with 2 monsteras. One, it out grew the nursery pot. Once I repotted it and gave it fertilizer it doubled in size in 2 months. I had to repot again. Now, a year and a half later I had to put in a 13 inch pot, when I bought it 4 inch pot. It is wild one growing everywhere, I got tired of repotting as its roots took over each pot and just put it in the big pot and recently added stakes. The second monstera had rotted roots. I cut all the black roots off and poured hydrogen peroxide on them. Repotted it, and it slowly made a come back

What I learned, the roots were growing quick and root bound, barely any soil to get nutrients. And if you over water it will get root rot. I am not sure if the nursery over watered it. All there monstera at that time were rough looking.

If you look at my monstera today a few leaves look deformed from the root bound, but it is growing like a champ! Next year I may have a 5 foot tall monstera.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I had this with 2 monsteras. One, it out grew the nursery pot. Once I repotted it and gave it fertilizer it doubled in size in 2 months. I had to repot again. Now, a year and a half later I had to put in a 13 inch pot, when I bought it 4 inch pot. It is wild one growing everywhere, I got tired of repotting as its roots took over each pot and just put it in the big pot and recently added stakes. The second monstera had rotted roots. I cut all the black roots off and poured hydrogen peroxide on them. Repotted it, and it slowly made a come back

What I learned, the roots were growing quick and root bound, barely any soil to get nutrients. And if you over water it will get root rot. I am not sure if the nursery over watered it. All there monstera at that time were rough looking.

If you look at my monstera today a few leaves look deformed from the root bound, but it is growing like a champ! Next year I may have a 5 foot tall monstera.
Thank you so much for your kind advice! I will repot the plant and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Cheese Plant (Monstera Deliciosa) Indoor Care Guide​

Swiss Cheese Plant (Monstera deliciosa) is an epiphytic tropical vine with large, distinctive leaves. The leaves are green and heart-shaped, with deep furrows running along their length. The plant produces edible fruits that smell like a combination of pineapples and bananas. Although the vines can climb as high as 20 feet, 8 to 12 feet is their limit when grown indoors. It is native to regions of Mexico and Panama.

Ask a Question