Money Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Has anyone tried to grow a money Tree before? I saw some at Home Depot the other day and would like to get one because they have an interesting shape. Are they easy to grow, and how do you care for them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have three Wafer Ash (Ptelea trifoliata), aka "Money Tree." They are called that because the seed pods they produce resemble coins, and children used them as play money.
It is an understory tree, meaning you don't plant it in full sun because it needs some shade. It usually is multi-trunked and trying to make it into a single trunk tree is virtually impossible (believe me, I tried and was defeated!). Growth rate is moderate, so in 10 years you'll have a 12' tree more or less.
They are easy to grow. Basically, you plant them in a partly shaded spot, water deeply once a week until they get established, and then leave them alone. Don't fertilize, don't amend the soil before planting, and don't worry if the tree develops a really ugly caterpillar that looks like bird droppings. That is a Swallowtail butterfly caterpillar which won't harm the tree and will give you a gorgeous butterfly.
I see you are in 8b, so October, November would be a good time to plant a tree.
See if there isn't a private, non-big-box nursery near you that has a Wafer Ash for sale. What you are seeing at Home Depot may or may not be a true Wafer Ash (tags do get switched) and may not have been cared for properly. Also, if you have any questions after planting, the private nursery will be more willing and more able to answer your questions.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have seen a Money Tree, in fact I have not even heard about Money Tree. However, I know a plant called Money Plant, it is a creeper that always remains green. Because of its greenery, the plant i used as indoor plant. It has heart shaped leaves. I know know why this plant is called money plant. It has nothing that resembles money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, well I hope that I am not the only one who found the answer to what their parents would always say..."what, do you think money grows on trees?". That is what my father always said at least, and of course I understand why now, and probably did at the time too. Oh well, I was close, but in all seriousness I have never heard of a money tree before, but I am curious now. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It would be amazing if money really did grow on the tree. The seed pod story is an interesting one. I am not sure how much shade I am going to have at the new place, but certainly I should be able to find somewhere to plant one. I am the type of person who likes interesting and unusual plants and trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I was gifted with a money tree some years back. It was a good display in the living room. But when it developed more branches, we placed it in the terrace to give it sun because it is getting to be yellowish in color. That was when we went on vacation and forgot all about it until after a month that I remembered, our housemaid said that she placed it in the backyard. Oh, oh, you can guess what happened, no more money tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a money plant, but it has round leaves and looks rather like a succulent. I've never heard of a money tree before and wonder if anyone has any photographs they could upload on here for us all to see. My plant is getting quite big for its pot now, as I've had it a couple of years and I am dreading replanting it. I am hoping when I do come to replant it that I do it correctly and it takes well and survives. It didn't like being put in the porch as it got white spots on it which I wiped off and they never came back when I brought it back inside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Rosyrain:

I believe the 'Money Tree' you are referring to is another name for Guiana Chestnuts (Pachira aquatica or Pachira glabra). These are tropical trees that grows in swampy habitats in the Neotropics. They are in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae) and related to Baobabs (Adansonia spp.) and Kapok (Ceiba spp.), Often two or three Pachira stems are braided together in the same pot and sold as a Money Plant. I believe this is what you saw at Home Depot. They can be grown as a houseplant in a bright window, though at some point the trees will either grow too large or become rootbound... unless they were repeatedly root-pruned as is done with bonsai trees.

Ask a Question