Money Tree - Haven't Watered in 3+ Months Since Placing Pebbles on Top Soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I have a money tree that's in a 6" pot, fairly small I just placed it into a pot a bit too big. I haven't watered it at all for 3+ months since putting white pebbles on top of the top soil primarily to prevent gnats. Prior to this, I usually water once every two weeks as that's when the moisture level goes from "moist" to "dry."

I wanted to see if this is normal that I don't have to water this plant for this long. I've checked using moisture meter and it still has moisture.

The plant is fairly healthy meaning no pests, fungus, dead leaves. Occasionally there is one or two leaves where the edge are browning, maybe from sun exposure?

What I also notice is that although there is new growth, the leaves are much smaller than the existing ones.

Thank you guys!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would think the gnats were a good clue you were over-watering before, the lavae like nice moist compost. There are a few plants that get called 'Money tree', if yours is the one I know I was told it was called that because it flourishes in a house where everyone is too busy working and making money to pay it much attention. I only watered mine very occasionally, it was when the leaves went 'wrinkly' I knew I had gone too far and gave it a drink.

Ask a Question