Moles!!!

Reaction score
Does anyone have some tips on getting rid of these critters? They have torn up our front and back.

Reaction score
My grandpa kills them... and keeps telling me that those traps work great, i have yet to try them at my place, but they are all over the yard last year.

j.w

Reaction score
Same problems here and I don't like trapping them so I just gave up and rake over the mounds when I feel like it. Might try putting some cat litter goodies down their holes or maybe some human wee wee,lol! Won't kill them but might run them off to the neighbors!

Reaction score
Thought about the traps, but am fearful our dogs would stick their curious noses in them. Might try JW's tip though. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started using milky spore, the moles are after grubs. Been treating my garden slopes with it, waiting to see if it helps.
The grass yard, don't care, too much land to worry about moles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yep milky spore works great and the spores keep multiplying to get rid of grubs and I got my first container because of japenese beetles .The insects they eat gone and no moles any more .I started the treatment 5 years ago .I did add more this past spring to the ground .Just poke a hole in the ground and put a tiny bit every couple of feet .You have to do it when the grass is going to get damp or you are going to get a light rain .It gets the little spores in the ground .Don't worry about worms and some other bugs as believe me i have a lot of worms .

Reaction score
We tried something about 4 years ago that has worked quite well. I believe it was called a rodent repeller, and consists of an aluminum tube that sticks in the ground, with a solar collector on top. It makes an intermittent buzzing noise that keeps the little buggers away. The drawback is that you have to place them every 50 feet or so, depending on your soil type.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
addy is right .I got mine online and complained to lowes and home depot for not carrying milky spore .It comes in a round blue container .Similar to an oatmeal container .They have a tool to poke holes in the ground but I just use a large screwdriver to poke the hole and then dip the screw driver in the canister and poke the screw driver with it on back in the hole .Gets it down where it needs to be .

Reaction score
Can you get nematodes in the US? they are microscopic organisms that attack a number of different grubs. They are applied with a hose-end spray applicator, which seems like a lot less work than poking holes in your lawn.
John

j.w

Reaction score
Yes you can. The garden guys on the radio here talk about using them all the time in your soil to rid it of certain buglets. I've never tried them tho.

Reaction score
We just had our first mole in our garden this year. I haven't tried to get rid of it, but I heard putting a laxative tablet in the hole works well.

In our area, they just seem to be passing through, not moving in, so I am not too concerned about it.

Reaction score
Did a quick trim of the side and back yards with a push mower, and I'm about ready to use DYNAMITE on the bastards! Tunnels caving in underfoot in a dozen places. Never notice them with the riding mower. Dynamite..... may be on to something there!? :mad:
John

Ask a Question