Mold or?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never seen anything like this before. When first spotted a few hours ago most of the white stuff was a vibrant blue.

I'm thinking this is some sort of fungus or mold.

Attachments

• 20210612_180358.jpg
    20210612_180358.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210612_180345.jpg
    20210612_180345.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210612_180306.jpg
    20210612_180306.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've never seen anything like this before. When first spotted a few hours ago most of the white stuff was a vibrant blue.

I'm thinking this is some sort of fungus or mold.
It is a type of Dog Vomit Fungus. It comes in different colors, usually a yellow but others as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Are you using any fertilizer in your watering? The shape of the fungus looks like what we call dog vomit fungus! It shows up in mulch a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yeah. And its a beauty. Glad its dog vomit, that one is not so bad as I recall. Some of those white ones have no edible cure. Right now I have thrown down cornmeal and innoculated it with a mycoparasitic mix of molds and bacillus. Trichodermas and at least one bacillus strain is Subtilis, (serenade spray) so we will see. Here is some info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No fertilizer but a bunch of grass clippings. It's been very wet this week too.

I've been holding off on the cornmeal because of so much rain this week.

Is this something to be concerned with or is it just a sign of live soil? I'll check the plants that are affected but as of yesterday's post, they seemed ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No fertilizer but a bunch of grass clippings. It's been very wet this week too.

I've been holding off on the cornmeal because of so much rain this week.

Is this something to be concerned with or is it just a sign of live soil? I'll check the plants that are affected but as of yesterday's post, they seemed ok.
It is nothing to be concerned about. However, calling it a fungus is a little misleading. For decades it was considered a fungus but soil scientists now call it a slime mold. It will soon go away. It is caused by a lot of water and is spread by the wind. It usually feeds on large particles of dead materials and yes, grass clippings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. Plants looking ok still. Should I avoid adding more grass for the time being?
If it is still raining a lot more grass clippings will only compact and restrict oxygen. The slime mold does nothing to plants, it feeds on and breaks down organic matter in the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Supposed to be dry for this week. I've been putting the grass in the footpaths for now. The plan was to let it dry in the paths and then use it as much around the plant.

Ask a Question