Moisture meter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Durgan. Moisture meters are not that effective.

As you practice observation and judgement you will begin to understand your garden's need for water.
• Soil: How wet does the soil surface look? If in doubt, dig a small hole to examine subsurface moisture. Eventually you should be able to accurately judge by looking at the surface.
• Plants: Are plants healthy and growing? Is your crop yield and quality as you should expect?
• Weather: What were the recent weather conditions: temperature, precipitation, wind, humidity? How long since the last rain or irrigation? Consider the forecast too, but don't trust it too much.

It may seem daunting to list all the variables to consider, but it will soon become mostly intuitive.

I presume you've been growing your Big Boy Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Big Boy' seed strain) since Spring. How has it performed so far?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Durgan. Moisture meters are not that effective.

As you practice observation and judgement you will begin to understand your garden's need for water.
• Soil: How wet does the soil surface look? If in doubt, dig a small hole to examine subsurface moisture. Eventually you should be able to accurately judge by looking at the surface.
• Plants: Are plants healthy and growing? Is your crop yield and quality as you should expect?
• Weather: What were the recent weather conditions: temperature, precipitation, wind, humidity? How long since the last rain or irrigation? Consider the forecast too, but don't trust it too much.

It may seem daunting to list all the variables to consider, but it will soon become mostly intuitive.

I presume you've been growing your Big Boy Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Big Boy' seed strain) since Spring. How has it performed so far?
Thanks.

I have had the plant for a week. It has grown about 2 inches so far and is doing well.

I am using Jobes Vegetable and Tomato plant food. 2-5-3.

Ask a Question