Miracle gro garden soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I am new to gardening I purchased several plants about 5 inches tall each and purchased 3 miracle gro gardening soil without even reading how it says for in ground use only I would prefer to use fabric bags. Has anyone had luck using miracle gro gardening soil in fabric pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't see why you cant use those bags as long as the plant doesn't turn the bag over. No different than using a 5 gallon bucket with drainage holes or a raised bed. The soil may dry out a little quicker though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apparently the soil I bought is for in ground use only. It can become compacted so they recommend mixing half and half with native soil. But my soil is almost like clay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wouldn't clay compact more than the MG garden soil?

The ingredients look the same as the potting mix but in different concentrations.

That says you can ammend raised beds with it but then it says it shouldn't be used in containers. I'm not sure I understand that. Maybe someone else can say for sure but I can't. Maybe the cloth bag jostling around would compact it more.

What plants did you get?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok so the garden soil is missing perlite. That is probably where the compaction thing is coming from. Also seems like they are calling a container a pot (confined space for the roots to grow vs a raised bed with room to grow). I think I'd try to return the soil and get the potting mix.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought 10 gallon fabric bags. The plants I bought were green bell pepper, strawberries, roma tomatoes, and onion. I already opened one bag. The garden soil I bought was miracle gro vegetables & herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

It doesn't have perlite in it either.

What if you took the other 2 bags bag and got the potting mix and mixed them all together?
or maybe buy some perlite and mix it into the garden soil?
.....just to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
Country
United States

It doesn't have perlite in it either.

What if you took the other 2 bags bag and got the potting mix and mixed them all together?
or maybe buy some perlite and mix it into the garden soil?
.....just to be on the safe side.
I was thinking of also buying the potting mix and mixing it. It's my first time gardening hopefully I don't blow it. Thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
I planted some peppers, mints and potatoes last year in grow bags with bulk delivered soil/compost mix that was fairly heavy and had good results. That being said it I think I would have gotten better results adding peat/vermiculite/perlite/etc... This year I will be mixing compost about 50/50 with used pro-mix. I don't exactly how that soil is but if you're in a pinch I'd say you're probably good with what you have, particularly since it's a grow bag and not a plastic container, but adding in perlite or vermiculite possibly along with peat or coco coir would probably be worth worth your while.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for your advice I appreciate the help. I should update I ended up taking two out of three bags back and buying potting soil. I just loved the idea if the ground soil having moisture control plus fertilizer buy decided to go with the proper soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I often overlook that C-O-H comes before N-P-K. Unless they are aquatics most roots need airspace. That means drainage. That gives me an idea about a gardeners riddle : Which came first the airspace or the drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United States
if its worth anything I have a neighbor who plants directly into the Miracle grow bags. He has a small spot that gets good sun and he just pokes holes in the bag for drainage. Grew some nice cucumbers, egg plants and a couple of really nice tomato plants.

Ask a Question