Mint from seed

Reaction score
Country
Malta
I've read quite frequently that the best way to grow mint is from a seedling or plant. In fact it's the second Spring that I've failed to grow them from seed. Last Spring nothing came up, and this year they grew about 1mm and stopped growing.

I have these Egyptian variety seeds and would love to try them out. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong? Any hints, like amount of sun, watering, germination etc?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I grew mint for the first time I followed the directions and planted the seeds at 1/4 inch. Nothing came up. Then I sprinkled seed on top of wet soil and sprinkled a little soil, just enough to cover the seed. Maybe 1/16 inch. I then misted twice a day with a spray bottle. I had the mint in a very warm place when I did this and had way too many plants germinate. I made a mistake of planting the stuff in the ground and found out that I don't like mint all that much.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi Chuck, you mean that the second time they grew and spreaded once you planted them in the ground? Is the mistake that they stopped growing or you meant that they spread like crazy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, you mean that the second time they grew and spreaded once you planted them in the ground? Is the mistake that they stopped growing or you meant that they spread like crazy?
They went everywhere and it wasn't easy to get rid of them. If you're going to grow mint grow it in containers

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mint is horribly invasive!! Grow it in containers or it will be everywhere! I can't stress this enough...

:eek: :( :cry: :mad: :rage:

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
When I grew mint for the first time I followed the directions and planted the seeds at 1/4 inch. Nothing came up. Then I sprinkled seed on top of wet soil and sprinkled a little soil, just enough to cover the seed. Maybe 1/16 inch. I then misted twice a day with a spray bottle. I had the mint in a very warm place when I did this and had way too many plants germinate. I made a mistake of planting the stuff in the ground and found out that I don't like mint all that much.

Chuck,

That's very interesting. I have now wasted three packs of Burpee spearmint seeds. Apartment dweller me planted them in a pot which I left on top of the fridge for a bit of extra warmth. Not one has come up, ever. I've tried different depths from 1/4 to just letting them sit on the surface. Sounds like you were successful not just with the 1/16 – "barely cover", as the instrux say on the pack, fair enough Burpee – but also keeping them very moist and *very* warm. I will follow your three-point plan. Wish me luck!

Ask a Question